Stealing/Eating Things

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Stealing/Eating Things

Postby Tigerbeck » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:46 am

Hi,

I have a ~1 year old rescue who mostly steals and chews up shoes, but generally takes things that smell like me. There are other people in the house, but she mainly takes my things away and either completely chews them up or "buries" them in the tree. I think it is a different cause, but she will also run by and steal a telephone or flashlight if you pay attention to the other dogs or ignore her and she will prance by with it.

For whatever it is worth there are two other dogs in the household who do not do this, but do get attention. I plan to crate train her, but I want to know the cause of this mischief.

Becky

Amie

Re: Stealing/Eating Things

Postby Amie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:03 am

What's your reaction to her stealing things when you pay attention to other dogs?

Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tigerbeck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Usually I will tell her in a low tone that she is a bad girl and take it away and give her a toy, but not play with her and give her attention for stealing. More often than not I do not see it and will later find a shoe or something in her hiding place or see the bits all over. If it were just the dog and I living together I doubt this would be a problem based on the many fosters I have trained. I also would be able to always keep an eye on her, but I am living in a somewhat chaotic household at the moment with 3 dogs and my mom and brother refuse to accept crate training for when we are away or are busy with other things and can't keep a close eye on her.

Becky

petty254
Newborn Bully

Postby petty254 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:06 am

Sometimes this happens when your dog is just idle or maybe needs some attention. You should consider taking her through some exercises just to let off some extra energy.

Return to “Training and Behavior”