barking dog (at everyone except owners)

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
nrgking
Newborn Bully

barking dog (at everyone except owners)

Postby nrgking » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:32 am

Hi!
I'm Dan. i have an 11-12 mo. old pit (guessing he's mixed with pointer by the looks of him and body type
adopted him after finding him in a dog park.. waited a whole day with him.. checked for a chip or anything that might be able to find the owner (posted on fb as well).. after seeing no one is claiming him - i took him and started taking care of him (shots, chip and so on).
he doesn't seem like he was in dog fights, though i'm pretty sure he was a guard dog (which is a problem i have at the moment with him). he's not aggressive towards animals (maybe a bit towards cats, but that's pretty much it), and when i'm walking with him with a leash or when he's free, he doesn't growl/bite/show any aggression towards people.
however - when he is tied outside, he barks and tries to bite anyone getting near him (not including myself and my wife) - which means that pretty much everyone, including our house owner who lives right next to us - is getting growled and barked at. the thing is that if he's with a leash or free and gets next to the house owner he doesn't show aggression at all whatsoever
my wife is driving me mad because friends and family are too afraid to visit (even though he's tied outside and most of the time he's inside the house)..
any clue what i can do in order to change the way he reacts when people walk/get near him?
thanks!!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: barking dog (at everyone except owners)

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:31 pm

a few questions to continue from my other post -

how long has he been with you?
can you post a picture?
how much time is he outside tied up and why?
how does he behave with people inside your house?
when people come to the door?
is he crate trained?

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:45 pm

also would be helpful to know if he seems like a confident dog or a fearful one at times? e.g. when barking at people is his tail tucked in or does he appear confident??

patty

Postby patty » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Excellent questions posted by Nickdawg.

I would also like to know if he is crate trained. If he is a fearful dog, crate training would be very beneficial. That would give him a safe haven when visitors are at your home. I have had great success with crate training.

Please search the Training and Behavior section for situations similar to yours for some helpful tips.

Return to “Training and Behavior”