Got a Mouthy Pup?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Re: Got a Mouthy Pup?

Postby LouDiamondz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Leslie H wrote:With a puppy that young, I find it helps me to think of them as their human age equivalent. A pup that age is like a 1 year old person. Very, very impulsive, almost no self control or planning, tiny attention span.

my son just turned 1 so yeah i understand.. it's defiantly like having a second child in the house.. but i enjoy it :) wish i had a big enough house and enough hands to have ALL the dogs in the world

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Mouthing help!

Boog tends to get carried away. I'm trying this tactic. However when i yelp ow! He proceeds to paw me or sometimes pounce a bit. He gets over excited. I've tried the jerk thing and walking away but he gets all excited lol. Help.

Also. He bites my stepdaughters sleeves every time she wears a hoodie. He only does that to her n my bf. Help. Is there no hope for my nibbly don't know his own size pup?!!

mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:10 pm

right now Im working on using the leesh in instances of jumping and nibbling. It didnt take long for Kanobi, 7 months, to realize that I have more control over him with his leesh on. He wears his harness all day long, I take it off after his last walk of the night.. It is much better to use a harness than a collar when working on obediance. He justs gets sooo excited, and controlling a 53 lb pup when he jumps/humps or nibbles can be difficult at best, but the leesh allows some leverage on his harness and allows for better control.. he sists, lays down and looks up at me with his brown doe eyes, melts my heart, lol.

he only seems to BITE, when he is wound up and wants to play. I have been diverting his attention to tug of war... that helps in some instances.

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm

OK I need some advice. My 6 month old puppy doesn't so much have a problem biting people, its when I take her to the dog park. She barks and tries to bite other dogs constantly. I don't think she's being aggressive, I could be wrong though.

I remember my other one that is now 6 years old was like this to but I don't remember if it lasted 6 months or not. I just really do not want her to become dog aggressive. What can I do?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Please read the Dog Park sticky at the top of General section...

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

mountainman
Newborn Bully

Postby mountainman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Great sticky :thumbsup:

primadonna
Newborn Bully

Postby primadonna » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:46 pm

thank you for posting this. I got my puppy at 4 weeks,
Jan 28, 15 Yesterday I decided to help a friend who lost the mother of a litter of puppies. I had planned on taking one in when they were 8 weeks old, but the mom died and she couldn't handle raising 8 four week old puppies. She is a blue female pit bull. Her dad & mom (taken about a month ago) are pictured below.

She gave her a dewormer before bringing her to my house yesterday & the puppy spent the night pooping worms. I bought a bottle and milk replacement to feed her every 3-4 hours. I had her in a box with a warm bottle, blanket, pee pad and my white coat (which is my favorite, but she has taken over)

I need any and all advice on how to raise her to be the best and healthiest pup around.

Now at about 6 weeks she became very mouthy, when she was awake thats all she wants to do is chew on me . I am quite concerned, I have had mouthy pups in the past but she only does it with me...I was super nervous after I read they learn bite inhibition between 6 and 8 weeks from mom, and she was plucked from her mother at just over 4 weeks. Then I found this and I am hoping that I can raise her to be a great puppy.

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:13 pm

It would be much better if your pup was at least with littermates. That is how they learn about bite inhibition and how to behave. If you can get another of the puppies for a few weeks, and keep them together, it would be ideal.

primadonna
Newborn Bully

Postby primadonna » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:03 pm

Christalina wrote:It would be much better if your pup was at least with littermates. That is how they learn about bite inhibition and how to behave. If you can get another of the puppies for a few weeks, and keep them together, it would be ideal.
she got rid of them by 6 weeks. I tried to get her to let me keep another one until 8 weeks but she wouldn't have it. I have kept my 10 month old (hard to believe that he is that old) male pit mix away until she has gotten her shots (she is getting at 8 weeks per vet recommended)

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:10 am

( I post this in your other topic, but it fits here to)

She looks fine an cute :thumbsup: , i have myself an pup that's a little mouthy, I got her with 6 weeks, just be consistent and tell her not to bite.

If she try's to bite try to put her lip between her teeth (every time), you also can use a fly crusher to hit her on her behind, it wont hurt and it's not your hand!

Just keep on going it will take some time but you can do it.

Good luck and keep us informed please. 8)

Fly crusher,

Return to “Training and Behavior”