Tips for socializing/training puppies

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Tips for socializing/training puppies

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 am

MomofSasha wrote:
Patch O' Pits wrote:I'd give your vet a call for your own piece of mind and discuss it with him. Honestly as long as you are doing things at home and having her meet people like you were describing I'm sure all will go fine if you don't take her out.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Never had a pit so I want to do everything "right" ya know?! LOL! So I'm thinking socialize, socialize, SOCIALIZE! I'll keep bringing people over. In fact, my daughter had a sleep over last night so new friends to visit today too! :)

That's awesome!!! It is nice to see owners working so hard to do the right thing for a pup.

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
MomofSasha wrote:
Patch O' Pits wrote:I'd give your vet a call for your own piece of mind and discuss it with him. Honestly as long as you are doing things at home and having her meet people like you were describing I'm sure all will go fine if you don't take her out.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Never had a pit so I want to do everything "right" ya know?! LOL! So I'm thinking socialize, socialize, SOCIALIZE! I'll keep bringing people over. In fact, my daughter had a sleep over last night so new friends to visit today too! :)

That's awesome!!! It is nice to see owners working so hard to do the right thing for a pup.

I'm actually doing it quite backwards so I feel a little guilty! :hi

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 am

Don't feel guilty for not starting right away, a lot of new pup owners don't knwo what they are supposed to do. I blame a lot of that on breeders and also understaffed shelters not giving out proper info. to knew owners as well as an owner not researching. At least you are making up for it now. :)

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:14 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:Don't feel guilty for not starting right away, a lot of new pup owners don't knwo what they are supposed to do. I blame a lot of that on breeders and also understaffed shelters not giving out proper info. to knew owners as well as an owner not researching. At least you are making up for it now. :)

But I KNOW BETTER!! I have been raising dogs my whole life. At one time I had my own pet sitting business. Sigh...you make a good point tho...better late then never. Some never do...and then wonder why they have problems.

Aaron
Newborn Bully

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Looking for some advice...maybe I'm being overly paranoid.

Daisy is right at 4 months now. We're starting organized classes next week. She's always been super nice and good with strangers - I take her for 3-4 walks per day, and it's a small neighborhood, so we see lots of people and dogs to stop and talk to.

Just recently (as in, the last couple days), she's gotten really scared of new people. She hides behind my legs and won't let anyone pet her. I let small kids pet her, several at a time, and she either warms up immediately or puts her tail between her legs and runs over to me. There's even some in-between with those two emotions.

Should I keep letting people and children pet her, even when she's scared? Or should I respect that she doesn't want to meet people right now?

Thanks for any advice.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Fear stages are fairly normal. Always respect your dog's signals that she's uncomfortable - they give LOTS of signs, and it's the people who ignore those (because they don't know better or think they don't apply to them) who get bitten.

Work with your trainer on this, but be gentle, pleasant, and up beat. Let your pup tell you when she's ready to meet someone new.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 pm

I would be letting her doing the approaches when she feels comfortable. That means you're in charge of controlling the humans and the situation.
My new pup is the same age, but I'm having the opposite problem. She wants to greet everyone w/enthusiastic jumping and nipping. People are always saying '''it's 'OK", but it's not. Little kids squeal and flap their hands, extra exciting. So I need to be more consistent in limiting her.

Harlequin2011
Newborn Bully

Postby Harlequin2011 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 am

Well I didn't get through all the pages but since my baby will be coming home in a week and three days (Aaaa! So excited! :yipee: ), I thought I would take a look and brush up on things. After all it has been a while since I've had a dog of my own and especially a pup! I keep reminding myself, keep it positive, reward for behaviors you want and redirect into the acceptable behaviors for those behaviors you don't want.
I'll definitely have to come back and go through th rest. There might be somethings I haven't thought of yet. Right now though my eyeballs are saying get some rest, you crazy nut, we're burning here! And my knee is complaining that I've sat in the same position too long without real movement, the repositioning just doesn't cut it. So at 2:56 am, it's off to bed with my tired, burning eyes and grumpy knee.

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite! :hi

highflyergirl19
Adolescent Bully

Postby highflyergirl19 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 pm

This is a great thread! There's lots of good info on here for puppy owners! I have had dogs my whole life, but never a APBT. With all the bad press out there, I really want my boy to be raised right! He's doing very well right now and he loves people! After he got his shots I started introducing him to people of all shapes and sizes when we were out on walks. He loves it and most of the people we've met so far have been really nice (with a few exceptions including a lady that yelled at me to put a choke chain on my "vicious breed" puppy :eek: ).

My one question is, how should I go about introducing him to babies? The youngest child he has met so far was three and he was so gentle with her. He sat there so nicely and let her pat him and kiss the top of his head! A few of my friends have babies ranging in age from two months to one year. I just want his first experience with babies to be good since my husband and I are planning on having kids in a year at the latest.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:24 am

highflyergirl19 wrote:This is a great thread! There's lots of good info on here for puppy owners! I have had dogs my whole life, but never a APBT. With all the bad press out there, I really want my boy to be raised right! He's doing very well right now and he loves people! After he got his shots I started introducing him to people of all shapes and sizes when we were out on walks. He loves it and most of the people we've met so far have been really nice (with a few exceptions including a lady that yelled at me to put a choke chain on my "vicious breed" puppy :eek: ).

My one question is, how should I go about introducing him to babies? The youngest child he has met so far was three and he was so gentle with her. He sat there so nicely and let her pat him and kiss the top of his head! A few of my friends have babies ranging in age from two months to one year. I just want his first experience with babies to be good since my husband and I are planning on having kids in a year at the latest.
If you are on facebook go to my page it is Patch O' Pits Therapy Dogs, and in the NOTES section I have one written up on introducing dogs to babies which may help...

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:24 am

CrazyMaizey wrote:This is such an awesome post!! I'm in the process of actually getting ready to adopt another pittie puppy :) , And The information in this thread as well as others has given me SO much information, I will be printing this and keeping it on my wall to always keep it in my mind!! Thanks!!!
Good Luck with the new addition! :thumbsup:

Return to “Training and Behavior”