Tips for socializing/training puppies

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:22 pm

You are very welcome and I hope it helps you :)

Boostjunki
Newborn Bully

Postby Boostjunki » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Umm stupid question.. but whats a clicker?? :oops:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:00 pm

I wanted to post a picture of a clicker but I can't upload pics at work. So...

http://www.clickertrain.com/whatis.html

sammae01
Newborn Bully

Postby sammae01 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:57 am

I have a few specific issues with my 7 month old pitbull. It seems I really need to socialize him but its been hard and I wanted some tips. He is extremely scared of people, he barks at strangers that are iffy(i.e. wearing big jackets, hoods hats on, men, anyone at night) and barks at people that are verbal towards him. So I tell everyone to ignore him and let him smell you. so pretty much if you walk in, and say "hii!!" to him he gets scared and barks at you to say"back off" but once you turn your back to him and walk away, he will approach you from behind and smell you.

I take him out to public places, walk him. have people over and since he's started doing this its been hard to get people to befriend him. also everytime he gets really scared when someone approaches and is loud about it he pee's . This is not so much when in public, because he would avoid people, but hes a cute pup, so people want to approach him, and once they do. he starts getting scared and bark and growl.

I've tried having strangers give him treats so he can understand that strangers are not a threat. but it hasn't worked. It also seems like he has very short memory. would that add to the problem? anyway, help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:15 am

sammae01,
Can you give some more background info on the pup?

A lot of critical socialization time happens when a pup is much younger IMO. When did you get this pup? What is the background... rescue, breeder? Has he always been like this? ... if not when did it start.

sammae01
Newborn Bully

Postby sammae01 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:48 am

I got him at 4 months, and he was a little apprehensive and as he grew his shyness turned into fear. He was never hit by me whenever he did anything wrong. just a stern voice. I'm not sure if it relevant but I started to notice it a lot after he was neutered.

He is perfectly fine with other dogs. he gets a lot of play days with his litter mates and other dogs. he just loves to play with dogs, but when it comes to people its the exact opposite. He see my neighbor almost everyday and still barks and growls at him like hes an intruder. and the really sad because my neighbor use to have a pitbull and just wants to pet him and he actually trusts that Sato wont bike him and puts his hand out, squats and avoids eye contact and is patient. and still he gets nervous. I guess its might be because he does not get a lot of human contact.

:frown:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:34 pm

If it has escalated as he has matured, I'd say it is most like more a genetic thing than environmental.

Make sure not to coddle or reinforce the fears. Is their any way you can have a trainer help you out with an eval on him

sammae01
Newborn Bully

Postby sammae01 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:52 am

Right, I've always been as helpful as I can when it comes to objects and people. Anything that startles him or scares him I would take extra time out to encourage him investigate it and praise him for it, especially people. He still seems like a big puppy still very iffy even with objects hes been around for months already.

His previous owner says that Sato's mom and dad were like that during this time also. He said they "got over" people as they matured so hopefully with more help and encouragement he can achieve this sooner rather than later.

About trainers. I haven't found any that specialize or would seem appropriate I'll keep looking. Also any tip or hints on how to better socialize him with people or dogs? I just hate the fact that hes an angel around people he knows and can learn tricks so easily but when it comes to interacting with strangers he so fearful.

Thanks

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Expose him to things. people and dogs in various places like you are doing but don't force or push the issue because that too can make it worse. If it is a fear stage it will pass if it is a genetic issue you can work around it but it won't go away.

You may also want to post this as a new thread. It will get more responses there. I don't personally have dogs with fear issues and so haven't had to really deal with it much besides with working with some rescues. I feel others may be able to give some more insight from their personal experiences

myasmommy
Newborn Bully

Re: Tips for socializing/training puppies

Postby myasmommy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:08 pm

Noises
Introduce the pups to a variety of sounds. Since I slept with them They got to hear my alarm clock every time it was time for a feeding LOL they learned what that meant quick. I was up for all of the feedings to begin with to make sure everyone was thriving and getting enough. They also had a TV and radio in that room.
After the first week or so I vacuumed around them usually when they were eating but not right near them. They heard normal every day noises I didn't try to keep anyone quiet.

SOME OTHER good noises/things to get used too:

opening and closing umbrella's by them when they get to be about 7 weeks and let them stiff and see the umbrella when it is both opened and closed

clanging dog dishes drop pans

Mya sleeps in my room and when she hears my alarm go off she immediately runs to my bed to tug at my blanket..she hates when i putit on snooze lol...but today once again she got scared by a neighborhood doggie...a weenie dog this time lol...she actually got closeto the dog and barked a little..bu after that she was shaking so bad i had to hold her and "cuddle with er for like ten minutes until she finally felt comfortable to potty...i took her out after her nap and she didnt want to come out...any ideas on this :frown:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:27 pm

but after that she was shaking so bad i had to hold her and "cuddle with her for like ten minutes until she finally felt comfortable to potty.

Actually by cuddling and coddling her you reinforced her fear unfortunately.
You'll have to show her again that going out is a good thing and no coddling.., get her on leash use some good smelly treats or her favorite toys and act as if nothing is wrong and make everything very happy and playful to encourage her!

myasmommy
Newborn Bully

Postby myasmommy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Thank you so much....i did tell her that everything was ok and even laughed alittle....then tossed around her ball to show her that its ok...so no cuddling :thumbsup:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:56 am

Keep up the good work and watch the tone of your voice keep it happy and she will come around :)

myasmommy
Newborn Bully

Postby myasmommy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:20 am

LOL ok...i always talk in that excited voice with her since shes still little..this weekend is my cousins graduation and i am taking her to my aunts house. my aunt has to dogs so i am hoping all goes well there... :oops:

myasmommy
Newborn Bully

Postby myasmommy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Well success :peace: :thumbsup: mya is doing better with other dogs...she hung out with my aunts dogs and they played with her the whole time she was there..when i took her home she was pooped! :)) now she plays with the neighbors dogs (the weenie dogs)...had a slight problem with her only pooping in the house but got her back on track lol...

Return to “Training and Behavior”