Tips for socializing/training puppies

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Tips for socializing/training puppies

Postby Maven » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:15 pm

I have brought home/rescued 10 week old puppy. He was in east Oakland in the scariest, dirtiest place on earth. Other than some potty issues and he cries (throws an un Godly tantrum) when in the ex pen (all night) With a potty break or two. He was dehydrated and HUNGRY!!!!! A bad place to get any dog from, but a great place to save one from.
So aside from the potty stuff, he is totally zoned in on me. Learned to sit in a day and does so at every opportunity as I usually have some Zukes in my pocket. I attempted a down just because he did the sit so easily and that wasn't great.
Is it too much to expect such a young puppy to learn or are they really like sponges waiting to absorb anything.. His hunger definitely works in my favor.
He follows me everywhere, and is sooooo attentive to me. Any tips to making my little sponge a great ambassador for the breed as Maven is?
He is terribly smart. Cautiously has learned about the dog door very quickly, etc etc

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Is it too much to expect such a young puppy to learn or are they really like sponges waiting to absorb anything.. His hunger definitely works in my favor.
They learn faster at a young age IMO, but you also have to remember attention sans are short and you need to be consistent for things to stick. Feeding time is a great time for training. Sounds like the pup is lucky to have you and be in a safe place now. Best of luck with the training.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks we need it;) But he is such a treat to have around other than the potty training task;)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:28 pm

Check out the threads on crate training! You'll find them very helpful :thumbsup:

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 pm

He is in a crate, and seems to not mind sleepng in his own urine,, IMO it stems from the place of origin... progress is slow but it is coming...
This thread is great. We had the sit but struggled with the down... we are on it now;)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 am

Maven wrote:He is in a crate, and seems to not mind sleepng in his own urine,, IMO it stems from the place of origin... progress is slow but it is coming...
This thread is great. We had the sit but struggled with the down... we are on it now;)
Awe poor baby! How big is the crate. Sometimes a crate that is too big can also cause that issue.

Down is a more submissive type thing for a dog, so some are a little tougher with that command. Keep on being patient, you'll get there with the pup :thumbsup:

TheIcon
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby TheIcon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:20 pm

sammae01 wrote:I have a few specific issues with my 7 month old pitbull. It seems I really need to socialize him but its been hard and I wanted some tips. He is extremely scared of people, he barks at strangers that are iffy(i.e. wearing big jackets, hoods hats on, men, anyone at night) and barks at people that are verbal towards him. So I tell everyone to ignore him and let him smell you. so pretty much if you walk in, and say "hii!!" to him he gets scared and barks at you to say"back off" but once you turn your back to him and walk away, he will approach you from behind and smell you.

I take him out to public places, walk him. have people over and since he's started doing this its been hard to get people to befriend him. also everytime he gets really scared when someone approaches and is loud about it he pee's . This is not so much when in public, because he would avoid people, but hes a cute pup, so people want to approach him, and once they do. he starts getting scared and bark and growl.

I've tried having strangers give him treats so he can understand that strangers are not a threat. but it hasn't worked. It also seems like he has very short memory. would that add to the problem? anyway, help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

This is my 1.5yr old to a Tee!!!! Exactly the same. Other dogs she loves and gets along with great. Friends and people not so much.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Re:

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:36 pm

TheIcon wrote:
sammae01 wrote:I have a few specific issues with my 7 month old pitbull. It seems I really need to socialize him but its been hard and I wanted some tips. He is extremely scared of people, he barks at strangers that are iffy(i.e. wearing big jackets, hoods hats on, men, anyone at night) and barks at people that are verbal towards him. So I tell everyone to ignore him and let him smell you. so pretty much if you walk in, and say "hii!!" to him he gets scared and barks at you to say"back off" but once you turn your back to him and walk away, he will approach you from behind and smell you.

I take him out to public places, walk him. have people over and since he's started doing this its been hard to get people to befriend him. also everytime he gets really scared when someone approaches and is loud about it he pee's . This is not so much when in public, because he would avoid people, but hes a cute pup, so people want to approach him, and once they do. he starts getting scared and bark and growl.

I've tried having strangers give him treats so he can understand that strangers are not a threat. but it hasn't worked. It also seems like he has very short memory. would that add to the problem? anyway, help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

This is my 1.5yr old to a Tee!!!! Exactly the same. Other dogs she loves and gets along with great. Friends and people not so much.
There isn't really an easy answer to that... When I hear about dogs and pups that are fearful and not happy around humans, I always suggest trying to get some professional training help and or an eval if possible from a APBT savvy trainer because the breed should be happy go lucky around people. It may be a lack of training, bad experience or lack of socialization thing, but on the other side it could be a temperament issue. It is best to find out what the true underlying issue is so you can act on it accordingly.

Pups may have a short attention span, but that should not affect them being happy and friendly around strangers.
I hope that helps!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 pm

JobbiVickie wrote:
Now, if only she could master "Come". She is still headstrong about that and isn't easily fooled by treats.

Put her on a long line: it will be a huge help

TheIcon
Newborn Bully

Postby TheIcon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:05 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:
TheIcon wrote:

Thanks

There isn't really an easy answer to that... When I hear about dogs and pups that are fearful and not happy around humans, I always suggest trying to get some professional training help and or an eval if possible from a APBT savvy trainer because the breed should be happy go lucky around people. It may be a lack of training, bad experience or lack of socialization thing, but on the other side it could be a temperament issue. It is best to find out what the true underlying issue is so you can act on it accordingly.

Pups may have a short attention span, but that should not affect them being happy and friendly around strangers.
I hope that helps!

Been searching the past week for a good behaviorist around MD. Thanks :)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 pm

TheIcon wrote:
Been searching the past week for a good behaviorist around MD. Thanks :)

I'll send you a link; check your pms :thumbsup:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 pm

mom2braxton wrote:I really enjoyed this post as I am getting an Am for my autistic child and some of the tips you gave here are really no different from training an autistic child. I have workrf with my son extensively and refused to give up when dr. said he would never walk and I was told several times, he would not talk. I said yes he will and after he turned age 7, he uttered a first word. We are still working on that and the specialization is mostly the same. Thanks so much for this wonderful posting.

Sarah

Sometimes things take time, but they are well worth the wait!

I work with special needs children and understand completely.

I hope your son continues to make great strides! Good for you for being a dedicated loving parent and putting in the work to help your child succeed.

Animals can really help some children who have problem communicating open up.

Best of luck with your new addition.

h8z2luze
Newborn Bully

Postby h8z2luze » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:21 pm

I was so irritated today I was ready to take my pup back to the breeder. Now that I have read this thread I am going to try to be the best parent/owner I can. Thanks guys. You really helped a lot. Its very frustrating when your not exactly sure what to do.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:16 pm

h8z2luze wrote:I was so irritated today I was ready to take my pup back to the breeder. Now that I have read this thread I am going to try to be the best parent/owner I can. Thanks guys. You really helped a lot. Its very frustrating when your not exactly sure what to do.
Pups are a TON of work. So many don't realize just how much and that is a big part of why so many get dumped at shelters sadly. I'm so glad you found this useful and are back on track with the pup. hang in there and it will be well worth it.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm

PM Amie, or BabyReba I think they and a number of folks here are involved in B-More Dogs, and I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=133023

Return to “Training and Behavior”