Tips for socializing/training puppies

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Re: Tips for socializing/training puppies

Postby reaper18769 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:44 pm

this drives me crazy, someone please help! i train my pups ALL the time, everytime i train her she does sooo well (ofcourse i have a treat in my hand) but when their outside and i call them in he comes fine but she never listens to me, she sometimes just looks at me then continues whatever it is shes doing and i then after about 5 min she will finally comes

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:00 pm

reaper18769 wrote:this drives me crazy, someone please help! i train my pups ALL the time, every time i train her she does sooo well (ofcourse i have a treat in my hand) but when their outside and i call them in he comes fine but she never listens to me, she sometimes just looks at me then continues whatever it is shes doing and i then after about 5 min she will finally comes
get a long line so that when she doesn't listen you are ion control and can pull her into you. It will help you fix this problem.

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:09 am

That's a good idea, so everytime I say come just give a little tug on the lead?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:02 am

reaper18769 wrote:That's a good idea, so everytime I say come just give a little tug on the lead?

YES. :)

BravoTx
Newborn Bully

Postby BravoTx » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:17 pm

This is THREAD ROCKS!! :headbang:
My pup Logan responds well to my girls and he's so excited when they play with him. One question I have is, what does it mean when he is playing by himself or with my girls from time to time he will look at us and bark. Is he trying to get our attention?
Also my little guy is definatly an ankle biter. When he does this and I want him to stop I replace my ankle with a chew toy or small peice of round rawhide ( looks like a slim jim beef jerky stick) and he chews on that. Is this ok?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:32 am

BravoTx wrote:This is THREAD ROCKS!! :headbang:
My pup Logan responds well to my girls and he's so excited when they play with him. One question I have is, what does it mean when he is playing by himself or with my girls from time to time he will look at us and bark. Is he trying to get our attention?
Also my little guy is definatly an ankle biter. When he does this and I want him to stop I replace my ankle with a chew toy or small peice of round rawhide ( looks like a slim jim beef jerky stick) and he chews on that. Is this ok?

Barking during play is often a sign of attention seeking behaviors. many dogs are vocal when playing.

Redirecting the pup to appropriate things to chew on is absolutely what you should be doing. :) So :thumbsup: !

Enjoy the pup!

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Okay now I have one. When playing with a pup is it a good/bad idea to bark back when playing? This would either encourage their behavior or make you out as one of their pack I would assume. I may be way off here. I do that with dogs quite a bit but they all seem to love me maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

By the way great thread, stupendous if I may say so. I will be getting a pup someday, somehow whether from a breeder or a rescue, I just need a puppy or very young new friend. I will know when it is right. This refresher is good to have.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:52 am

gixxerific wrote:Okay now I have one. When playing with a pup is it a good/bad idea to bark back when playing? This would either encourage their behavior or make you out as one of their pack I would assume. I may be way off here. I do that with dogs quite a bit but they all seem to love me maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

By the way great thread, stupendous if I may say so. I will be getting a pup someday, somehow whether from a breeder or a rescue, I just need a puppy or very young new friend. I will know when it is right. This refresher is good to have.

Barking is a way of communication for them. I try not to encourage it because mine will feed off each others barking LOL and be too loud. But if you are having fun and it doesn't bother you I don't think it is a big deal. Just don't allow them to do it in a demanding manner for your attention.

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 am

Question: What is the best way to socialize them while they don't have all their shots? Seems the critical period is when they are very young...but they won't yet be protected from disease.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm

MomofSasha wrote:Question: What is the best way to socialize them while they don't have all their shots? Seems the critical period is when they are very young...but they won't yet be protected from disease.
I'm a bit overly fanatical about that LOL. I invite specific people over and friends with kids I trust, they check their shoes at the door, wash hands and come on in and play. You should also be exposing them to all sorts of inanimate objects, surfaces and noises which is all part of the process too.

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah, I'm realizing how important that is. Today we had some kids over and the pup was very happy and social but when mom and dad game to pick them up she was very shy...still friendly but wanted to be in my lap all the time. Also, today I brought out the vacuum and she ran away like a bat out of hell. Eventually her curiosity got the best of her tho and she came down the hall to check it out...from a distance.

Do you think it's safe to take them out to say...Petsmart if they are kept in a cart???

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 pm

MomofSasha wrote:Yeah, I'm realizing how important that is. Today we had some kids over and the pup was very happy and social but when mom and dad game to pick them up she was very shy...still friendly but wanted to be in my lap all the time. Also, today I brought out the vacuum and she ran away like a bat out of hell. Eventually her curiosity got the best of her tho and she came down the hall to check it out...from a distance.

Do you think it's safe to take them out to say...Petsmart if they are kept in a cart???

Actually, safer in your arms then in a cart, those things are usually pretty disgusting and dirty. How many rounds of shots has the pup had? have you asked the vet about how high risk your area is? Was the pup's dam in good health, and did the pup nurse a normal amount of time before being weaned? ...That usually helps boost the pup's immunity as well. There really are so many factors. It is a personal choice whether to take them in public before all shots. For example... Pups get shipped on planes and go through the airport at 8 weeks, so there is a risk, but most make it OK.

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:24 pm

I am quite paranoid about Parvo. I had an Australian Shepherd puppy (four months old) who came down with it a week after I got her and well....she made it but it cost a pretty penny. I don't want to risk infection BUT I want to expose her as much as possible!! The dam was in good health and she nursed for eight weeks.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 am

I'd give your vet a call for your own piece of mind and discuss it with him. Honestly as long as you are doing things at home and having her meet people like you were describing I'm sure all will go fine if you don't take her out.

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:40 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:I'd give your vet a call for your own piece of mind and discuss it with him. Honestly as long as you are doing things at home and having her meet people like you were describing I'm sure all will go fine if you don't take her out.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Never had a pit so I want to do everything "right" ya know?! LOL! So I'm thinking socialize, socialize, SOCIALIZE! I'll keep bringing people over. In fact, my daughter had a sleep over last night so new friends to visit today too! :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”