A Variety of Leash Training Methods

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
J_C
Newborn Bully

Postby J_C » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:43 am

it worked!!! :thumbsup:
everytime he got ahead i'd turn around and he'd follow. i also tried stopping when he got ahead, that worked better. in his mind - if i get ahead we stop, if we walk together everything is all good. and at the end of the walk i always treat him

SyrisIsABully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SyrisIsABully » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:58 pm

Do you think you could use this with any breed?

anewbaby

My good leash experience

Postby anewbaby » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:20 pm

Just wanted to share. I am not a professional trainer, but had heard good advice from various sources and needed to leash train 2 very stubborn dogs. The first thing I did that was really tough was to hold the dog back on a short leash where she needed to be (i did only one dog at a time at first). She had been on a choke chain constantly by her previous owner and she was used to pulling her owner around so choking made no difference to her. I built a lot of arm strength just holding this strong dog in the "right" place. I never let her stray at all from where I wanted her. I also praised her a lot and gave her rubs on the head and neck on our walks.

After she got used to the right place I would occasionally give slack and give her a pop on her choke chain when she tried to get ahead.

when I felt I could keep her at least under control i added my second dog to the mix and he took to training a lot easier. They both learned their place and got used to walking together. I got really strong arms from "popping" them into place when needed.

as far as training a dog to eventually be off leash, what I do is when they have heel down nearly perfect, I let the leash drag on the ground and when they get even a little off course, I step on the leash and they are Jerked back and corrected immediately. My Dogs never leave my side and I can take long walks with the leash dragging ( I never take the leash off completely "just in case" on our walks since our neighborhood has a lot of stray dogs.)
I do have one Dog Agressive Female so off leash is not an option.
I am waiting for my Pit to heal and no longer be in heat before I take her for walks in our neighborhood. She did have a short walk a while ago with the leach dragging techique and she was learning pretty well. I will keep you posted. :cool:

kysenrahl

Postby kysenrahl » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:44 pm

I got my first prong collars today...they rock...both of my pits are big time pullers and today was the first time I could take BOTH of them for a walk at the same time with absolutly no issues...they both walked great! Go by a prong!

Tay
Newborn Bully

Postby Tay » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:50 pm

My dog has a chock collar but it seems to fall down her neck alot. She pulls even when it is chocking her. I stop and adjust it ALOT but it always falls down. :frown:

Rose

Postby Rose » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:01 am

I started the throwing of the treats with Rosie a week ago. Everytime she walks beside me, the way I want her to, I tell her good girl and throw a treat. Now I am having a problem with her. She won't stop looking at my right hand, the one that throws the treat. She will even try walking sideways and get in my way.

Am I doing something wrong here? Will she eventually get over her fixiation on my right hand?

On a good note, since I started training her with food treats, she is way more coorporative. We've accomplished a lot in the past week. We train daily and I always try to make our sessions short and sweet and always end them after a sucess and before I loose my cool.

Rose

Postby Rose » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:07 am

Another thing I have noticed with Rosie. I use a 20 ft training leash with her and I have noticed that when I shorten the leash to the point that she can't move too far ahead or behind me, she pulls. If I leave the leash long where she could go the whole 20 ft out ahead or behind me if she wanted , she stays by my side.

Rose

Postby Rose » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:10 am

J_C wrote:it worked!!! :thumbsup:
everytime he got ahead i'd turn around and he'd follow. i also tried stopping when he got ahead, that worked better. in his mind - if i get ahead we stop, if we walk together everything is all good. and at the end of the walk i always treat him

I do this with Rosie and it works with her for a little while. After about five minutes of it she gets tired of it and tries to "attack" me.

jvegas08

Postby jvegas08 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:18 pm

when u talk about prong collar, is that the collar with the spikes on the inside??

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:11 am

yes, this is a prong collar. there great and work soo well

shames
Newborn Bully

Postby shames » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:58 pm

hi i have a 4 year old pitbull named jackson
whenever we go out for walks or to play fetch she is pulling very hard on my leash because she is excited to get tot he park or outside
is it too late for me to train her to walk beside or at the very least stop pullling so hard?
i don't really need her to be beside me constantly watching my movements but to just walk at a relaxed pace and stop pullig wuold be great
is thes uggested prong collar method a good way to approach this?
also how do i get her to run along side me when i go jogging

jdavis
Newborn Bully

Postby jdavis » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:29 pm

what if you use a harness on your dog??

grovey2

Postby grovey2 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:54 pm

clover pulls and pulls...she's going on 3 and we've had her for almost 2 years....after her treatment and surgery (heartworm and ACL surgery) she 'forgot' or doesn't want to remember how to walk well on leash....so it's back to retraining... I stop walking when she pulls and make her sit. Then i say easy and if she walks nicely, good girl, lots of praise and i say easy again...if i say easy and she gets up all pulling (usually when another dog is around) i make her sit again and do it again.... i think i'm going to try treats tonight and see if that helps a bit more.....

grovey2

Postby grovey2 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:54 pm

oh yeah, and we tried a harness, but she still pulls on that and i think she pulls even harder cuz it's not around her neck...

JJthetank
Newborn Bully

Postby JJthetank » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 am

so what exactly is a "prong" collar? And is it ever too late to teach a dog to heel? Unfotunantly when we got JJ he attached to me and my roommate didn't like that so we were (and sometimes still are) working against each other.

Return to “Training and Behavior”