Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Re: Biking with your bully

Postby RhysMom » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:03 pm

WOW! Thought I'd add in my 2 cents for anyone considering a bike attachment. I just got my WalkyDog in the mail today (ordered from thedogoutdoors.com) and Rhys LOVES it! I love that he seems to enjoy pulling me up the hills, haha.
It comes with a plastic ring to put between the clamp and the bike, but I took that off because it allowed the arm on the WalkyDog to turn a little when Rhys pulled while I slowed the bike. Now without the plastic its set in place and Rhys is sleeping soundly on the bed.
Rhys is a smaller dog (55 pounds in trim shape, minimal fat, lots of muscle) but I think this could stand up to all those larger bullies too!
Rhys LOVES to pull after other dogs, people and wildlife, but I had no problems controlling the bike with him trying to pull and he soon learned that just pulling ahead is best most of the time! I took the corners slowly and he seems to catch on as far as following the turn.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and just adopted a Blue Nose named Abi on Sunday.

I ride mountain bikes with friends a lot, and mostly on smaller trails. so I don't think the leash and belt setup would work for me. I am also a member on a mountain biking forum and someone suggested this device:

http://shopadogsbestfriend.com/k9cruise ... leash.aspx

He did not have a pit, but said it was perfect for tighter trails as it allows the dog to run next to the rear tire on either side of the bike and or behind the rear tire and move to either side as needed when something approaches. I think I am going to buy one and try it with Abi.

Has anyone ever used this device?

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Klurejr wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to the site and just adopted a Blue Nose named Abi on Sunday.

I ride mountain bikes with friends a lot, and mostly on smaller trails. so I don't think the leash and belt setup would work for me. I am also a member on a mountain biking forum and someone suggested this device:

He did not have a pit, but said it was perfect for tighter trails as it allows the dog to run next to the rear tire on either side of the bike and or behind the rear tire and move to either side as needed when something approaches. I think I am going to buy one and try it with Abi.

The walkydog has a small dog attachment that put the walkdog in the same position as the K9 Cruiser is showing, I use it for our rat terrier - I like the big dogs right at the side of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASgpvPrxL4&feature=player_embedded

You can see a number of videos of walkydog uses at http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/wavitu.html

I got my walkdogs from there for $38 - nice people & fast shipping.

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Klurejr wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to the site and just adopted a Blue Nose named Abi on Sunday.

Personally, I don't like that design. I would want to be able to see the dog so I can better keep pace with him and adjust my speed. I use the WalkyDog (http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog- ... leash.html) when I bike with Rhys, my 4-year old. I can see where the one you posted would be good for tight trails though. I usually ride on more groomed trails, fields and roads because I'm not that fit of a bike rider! lol.
Also, watch and evaluate your dog, see if she has a higher prey drive (many pits do), it seems like the rear-wheel setup might cause problems. My Rhys LOOOVES to go after any kind of wildlife he sees and loves to say "hi" to other dogs and people, the WalkyDog works well because it lets him pull (and me relax ;) ) next to me but it quickly diverts his pull toward the animal into a general pull forward because its fun for him.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:56 pm

ClickNtreat wrote:
You can see a number of videos of walkydog uses at http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/wavitu.html

I got my walkdogs from there for $38 - nice people & fast shipping.

That second video of the Bike Tow Leash looks like a great product. How well has your walkydog held up? My girl is only 50lbs so she wont put a ton of force on the unit and the guy in the video said he has a 70lb lab.

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 pm

I just got my walkydog, but they seem very well made (I hold things to a very high standard on well made, as I tend to judge things against my horse equipment which is very strong and long lasting). Would be interesed to hear from clickntreat, but everyone I talked to seems like they've had their walkydogs for a while and they have lasted well.
My dog is also smaller, about 55 pounds and the walkydog is great for him, even wen he goes all bonkers trying to see other dogs off to the side.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 pm

Since she is still new to us I wanna wait a few more weeks before I try to take her riding, so I am curious to hear how it works out for you cause $40 instead of $120 for the other one is a big difference in price if they essentially do the same thing.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:10 am

RhysMom wrote:I just got my walkydog, but they seem very well made (I hold things to a very high standard on well made, as I tend to judge things against my horse equipment which is very strong and long lasting). Would be interesed to hear from clickntreat, but everyone I talked to seems like they've had their walkydogs for a while and they have lasted well.
My dog is also smaller, about 55 pounds and the walkydog is great for him, even wen he goes all bonkers trying to see other dogs off to the side.

I got my walkydogs last year, Tasha our pittie (in the icon) was 77lbs (a very big strong girl) & our border collie is 70lbs & the walkydogs are like new. I took a spring out of each - to give the leash a little more length. Our Aussie is only 35lbs and our rat terrier 15lbs - I just have 2 walkydogs and purchased different attachments for the bikes we use them on. So between the 4 dogs they get lots of use and show no wear at all.

Total bargain - I had a "springer" attachment in the 90's but I much prefer the walkydog - value for money they are great. As it held Tasha leaping after a cat on the bike path, i have total faith in the design.

If you are going to bike on hard bike paths consider giving your dogs glucosamine supplements as a preventative against joint problems :)

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm

ClickNtreat wrote:
I got my walkydogs last year,

Do you have the attachment that hooks it to the lower rear swing arm? If so how does that work when they tug on the bike vs the standard mount to the seat post?

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:39 pm

I only use that low attachment with my rat terrier & at 15lbs I hardly feel he is there. I prefer the big dogs at the side of me, so that if a loose dog runs up to hassle them I am in the middle of it, rather than something starting behind me where I can't reach or intervene. Without getting off the bike and releasing my dog from the bicycle...

It's a concern with my little dog, I need to get some cord - so he can run alongside me too, rather than trail behind.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:28 am

Hey check out the newest equipment for biking with your dog:

http://www.biketowleash.com/index.php

Pricey but given I could use it for all my different size dogs, I might spring for one. I love how flexible it looks in the videos. On the walkydog with the lowride I don't like how my 15lb rat terrier has to trail the bike, if a loose dog came up behind him - it would take me some time and be really awkward to intervene on his behalf.

Dresden
Newborn Bully

Postby Dresden » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:36 pm

soooo glad to see this thread! I have been wanting to do this with Penelope but was still hesitant to order the walkydog. After reading throuh and seeing more photos I ordered the walkydog & EZ padded dog harness! :thumbsup: I wanted to get one from CDpits but not sure I should invest in one expensive yet.

Once I get my package and get used to it I wil try to post photos.

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:11 pm

ClickNtreat wrote:Hey check out the newest equipment for biking with your dog:

Pricey but given I could use it for all my different size dogs, I might spring for one. I love how flexible it looks in the videos. On the walkydog with the lowride I don't like how my 15lb rat terrier has to trail the bike, if a loose dog came up behind him - it would take me some time and be really awkward to intervene on his behalf.

If you get that one let me know how it goes, I was curious about it.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:40 pm

RhysMom wrote:
ClickNtreat wrote:Hey check out the newest equipment for biking with your dog:

If you get that one let me know how it goes, I was curious about it.

Just ordered it - will let you know when it arrives. I had to double check with the manufacturer that it would fit the right hand side of my bike, as it is designed for left hand side. Anyone ordering one that wants to use it on the right will need to send a photo of their rear axle to the manufacturer.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Bike Tow leash arrived today.

Value for money I would have to say the walkydog is a better deal. Mainly because its so much easier to fit - of course putting it on the right of my cycle made it trickier. But there are instructions to put rubbing alcohol into it to adjust to the perfect spot to your dogs shoulders. I wrestled with is for about an hour (watched the video on how to do it ) and I could not move it at all! So instead I fitted the the bracket slightly differently than recommended to tilt the boom at the correct angle for my dogs. Because of it being pretty fixed to a medium sized dog, I can't adjust it for my little dog which was one of my main reason for buying it. Thinking all 4 dogs would fit easily in the same position.

I really liked how stable the bike to leash is - my aussie gets an adrenaline rush every time a vehicle passes by and though I don't lose control with the walkydog I do wobble a bit. With the Bike Tow leash all I feel is him speeding up, no feeling of him yanking to the kerb at all. There is a lot more movement for the dog which is great.

If money is no object within reason the Bike Tow leash is great, if your budget is a bit tight the walkydog is more than adequate and so much cheaper. With shipping the Bike Tow leash cost me $123. Though if you have a super strong bully who does not always listen you would be safer with the bike tow leash IMHO.

I have to wait for Chi Chi to be a year old before I would run her with a cycle ...but my Aussie is a speed demon and I could really tell the difference between the two.

Here is the video showing different fittings and how to adjust with the rubbing alcohol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjn5JWiZFZ8&feature=player_embedded

Return to “Training and Behavior”