AngelsDaddy
Newborn Bully

Postby AngelsDaddy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:03 pm

I skate board with my pups

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 pm

AngelsDaddy wrote:I skate board with my pups

I am SO trying to get my husband to do this with Maya.

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Entwadumela wrote:Hey NatX-

Great post!

But I was wondering if either you, or others would be kind enough to let us know the benefits or what specfic areas are being worked for each of those excercises?

I enjoy working Jake on the flirtpole cause it involves a lot of his muscles to run, jump and some tugging.

Peace,
E

Hi there! :) I'm not NatX but I assume you're referring to biking? If not, please just ignore my post. I bike with Maya - three miles a day. Right now, I don't believe it's really muscle building since really she doesn't pull me (sometimes I let her pull me up hill towards the end... ;) )

But for me, I love biking with Maya because it really burns that energy and gives her a real workout. Our routine is at min one mile on bike or foot in the morning and then two sessions on the treadmill during the day (30-45 minutes each at a jog at the very least), and finally at min 3 miles at night on the bike followed by a 20-30 minute walk to practice leadership. I do these to burn energy and to help her keep from being frustrated. I'm greatly interested in setting up my own flirt pole in my backyard for Maya and potential foster pups (crossing fingers) and looking into weight pulling. But I've found for training purposes, doing these exercises really makes Maya more trainable and less frustrated during the day for me.

I've got video of Maya on the treadmill in the introduction or I'd be happy to post it again here if anyone is interested. It only took her 3 sessions to be without her leash on the treadmill.

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:43 pm

Entwadumela wrote:Hey NatX-

Great post!

But I was wondering if either you, or others would be kind enough to let us know the benefits or what specfic areas are being worked for each of those excercises?

I enjoy working Jake on the flirtpole cause it involves a lot of his muscles to run, jump and some tugging.

Peace,
E

Hi there! :) I'm not NatX but I assume you're referring to biking? If not, please just ignore my post. I bike with Maya - three miles a day. Right now, I don't believe it's really muscle building since really she doesn't pull me (sometimes I let her pull me up hill towards the end... ;) )

But for me, I love biking with Maya because it really burns that energy and gives her a real workout. Our routine is at min one mile on bike or foot in the morning and then two sessions on the treadmill during the day (30-45 minutes each at a jog at the very least), and finally at min 3 miles at night on the bike followed by a 20-30 minute walk to practice leadership. I do these to burn energy and to help her keep from being frustrated. I'm greatly interested in setting up my own flirt pole in my backyard for Maya and potential foster pups (crossing fingers) and looking into weight pulling. But I've found for training purposes, doing these exercises really makes Maya more trainable and less frustrated during the day for me.

I've got video of Maya on the treadmill in the introduction or I'd be happy to post it again here if anyone is interested. It only took her 3 sessions to be without her leash on the treadmill.

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Whoops. Sorry about that double post. :bolt:

Paul Neuhaus
Newborn Bully

Re: Exercise options for your bulldog

Postby Paul Neuhaus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:31 pm

concreterose wrote: Recreational Weight Pulling
If you wanted to incorporate pulling into your dogs weekly exercise you could pull lightweight on Monday, moderate weight on Wednesday, and heavy weight on Friday with a full day between pulling sessions. Or you could pull one weight for a week then change weights for the next week. Cycling the weight used for pulling will develop different muscles fibers within the same muscles. Pulling lightweight will work the fibers responsible for endurance, while heavier weights depending on the load used will work the fibers for strength. The fibers types are why it’s important to work different loading parameters if you really want to get into weight pulling contests.

Wow! This is such an awesome find because I'd love to start doing sled pulls with Kaz. I never would have imagined that some of the same basic principles used for human athletes would also be used for dogs. In this article, it mentions 2 exercise principles that are highly effective for athletes.

The part where it talked about doing light weight for long distance, waiting a set time, then repeating, is known as HIIT, which stands for High Intensity Interval Training.

And, the part that I have in quotes here, where it talks about changing intensity levels each day is known as "periodization". I'm very familiar with both methods and hopefully this will also work for Kaz.

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:34 pm

I've only recently begun hearing about Flirt Poles... are these to be purchased, or can they be made?
Like... If I take a broomstick, and tie off a solid piece of nylon rope and tie a stuffie to it... is that a home-made flirt pole, or a ridiculous excuse for one?

I use Backpacking and bike riding for Cash right now.
He's cool with the backpack- very focused!- but he LOVES Running with the bike. A while back on Dogster I detailed how to train your dog to get used to biking... if anyone is interested, I can post it here as well.

Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Lua » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:22 pm

cashisking wrote:I've only recently begun hearing about Flirt Poles... are these to be purchased, or can they be made?
Like... If I take a broomstick, and tie off a solid piece of nylon rope and tie a stuffie to it... is that a home-made flirt pole, or a ridiculous excuse for one?

That's what I do, but make sure you have a strong broom (metal or strong wood) and you won't wanna use a stuffie because it'll get torn to shreds right away. I use those crappy socks nobody wants to wear or odd socks and put them inside of each other, wrap in duct tape, tie with rope, cover rope with duct tape, and cover it all with another sock tied into place.. Then I used braided string, loop it through the hole in the handle and knot it onto the toy.
Voila! It's her favourite thing in the universe.. other than her bff (or until she hits 2 lol) Digby the pug.

alis
BANNED

Postby alis » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 am

great post

MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Postby MissVicky » Sat May 02, 2009 7:35 am

Biking is a bit hard. He likes to switch sides A LOT

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Thank you for posting this Concrete Rose and NatX

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Not a bulldog, but the concept is the same. Tug.

Pittarific
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pittarific » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 am

Thanks for that information!

Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Bambina23 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:15 pm

I had been using a "flirt pole" type lure system as exercise and training game with Bambina and she loves it! it was only reading this thread did i actually tie her lure to the end of a stick (bamboo garden pole) It worked great!
her favorite "prey toy" is an empty water bottle the crinkling sound the bottle makes drives her BANANAS. its also nice and easy to replace when she crunches them. a word of advice for anyone who has not used bottles with their dog- they make terrible toys. She destroys them and in my lack of supervision began to consume the bottles if not taken away when done playing.

Return to “Training and Behavior”