NILIF

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Sweet! She's such a good girl!

Postby SadiesHuman » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:52 pm

Sashapit11 wrote:PS yesterday she freaked me out, she had stood up to the counter and took one of our knives out of the sink and turned into a chew toy,.. the plastic handle part,.. I think we need to crate her,.. :oops:

My Sadie did that once. She chewed on the handle and then ran to me with the blade in her mouth. Yeah we babygated the kitchen that day and she is never in there unsupervised. Her food/water bowls are right outside the door and we've pushed all the knives back as far as we can and hide the others in drawers. So I've been there. You're not alone!! haha.

Now onto my question,

I've had Sadie for about 8 months now (she's 10 months atm) and I never knew about the NILIF technique. I did reading and I have trained other dogs but in other ways. I already do some of these techniques however is it too late in the game to start this technique? I've tried the ignoring of her wanting attention before and its difficult because she'll jump up with her front paws and put them on me and then just stand there pawing at me until I push her away which sometimes turns into a battle of her coming back again and again. Do I just ignore it the first time and let her paw at me? Because boy is she one stubborn pup! Pre-teenages I swear!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:55 pm

NILIF can be done with any dog of any age.. if she jumps up just turn away and not say anything. negative attention is attention no matter what..

Pittylove143
Newborn Bully

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Postby Pittylove143 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:02 pm

I have been reading the NILIF website as well as a few others that recommend it. I am believing now that the view I have had of NILIF was altered. As being a 15 or 16(?) year old seeing my former trainer using a RADICAL form of NILIF is misconstrued my conception. I am sorry for being so defensive in the first place. (former post) I am going to try NILIF at home myself now. Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Well she is 2 and I am going to be enforcing this NILIF idea on the puppy so she is going to need to adapt also?

Quick other one;

What if you are in the other room and you go into the room and the dog is on the couch or bed without your consent? How do you handle?

:thumbsup: :peace: :tongue:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:28 pm

i am glad you see this nilif is not bad.... what you do is you tie the dogs leash to your hips... this way the dog/pup cant do anything if you are out of the room cause they are with you..... i tie all pups to their leash and to me for the first 2-3 weeks they are in my house.. they learn proper house manners, they go where i go, and if they are going potty in the house its easier to catch a dog by leash then by collar, so its easier to bring them outside...

nilif is structure, its how you use it. anyone can take something and make it worse , its how its used.. when used correctly its not a punishment but solid structure:)

now, if you leave the room and you come back and said dog is on the couch, you hopefully have taught the dog the word OFF , if not you gently take the dogs collar and say in a happy voice OFF THE COUCH or OFF THE BED.. you put a word to the word OFF and dont just say off.. say OFF THE COUCH.. and gently take the dog off the couch...

msvette2u

NILIF - why being a pack leader is so important

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:04 am

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resource ... 002-01.htm

The NILIF program is remarkable because it's effective for such a wide variety of problems. A shy, timid dog becomes more relaxed knowing that he has nothing to worry about, his owner is in charge of all things. A dog that's pushing too hard to become "top dog" learns that the position is not available and that his life is far more enjoyable without the title.

The article is longer and well worth the read!

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:15 pm

NILIF is AWESOME. I am convinced that it has saved my Horace's life. He was a mouthy, testy, aggressive pup. I had more than a few spinning at the end of the leash-biting demon moments with him. When he was 22 lbs. it was worrisome, 32 lbs, of grave concern, and the idea that he'll top out at 60+, terrifying. NILIF took some exhausting concentration and consistency like I've never been consistent with anything before, but it paid off with a gentle, reliable, 48 lb. puppy. I now have video of a 12 wk old Golden Retriever pup 'putting Horace down' and 'winning tug-of-war' with him; in the weeks after I brought him home from the shelter I thought his aggression might mean no play ever with any other animal, if he even could be handled enough to be a citizen with the rest of us. THANK YOU NILIF, from the bottom of my heart, and from Horace's, which is so much stouter than mine!

concept
Adolescent Bully

Postby concept » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:00 pm

I would like to try this out with Koal, however I have a few questions. At one point the article talks about your hand being nudged for attention. Koal does this, however when he does it it is always to say that he needs to go outside to go to the bathroom.

If I ignore him while hes doing this, how long after the last nudge should I get up to let him out? He also stands at the back door and paces/barks if he needs to go the bathroom. Is this the same type of behavior i should not give into?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:10 pm

if koal nudges your hand to go potty, or paces to go potty, leave those alone, and dont mess with them..you dont want him going backwards on the housebreaking.

dust

Postby dust » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:19 am

One of my biggest concerns with Griffen is that he loves to chase after Anis (my cat). He doesn't bark at her or stalk her when he does this. He just has this very "omg are you a new toy?!" look when he goes after her. How can I use NILIF to curb this?

dust

Postby dust » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:21 am

Also, I've been trying to teach him "down", and short of pushing him down when he's "sit" properly, I'm not sure how to get him to understand the command.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:10 am

Dust, NILIF is different from teaching commands like sit and down.. there are stickys here in the training section for the cat issue, and basic obedience.

Julie K
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Julie K » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:15 pm

dust wrote:Also, I've been trying to teach him "down", and short of pushing him down when he's "sit" properly, I'm not sure how to get him to understand the command.

dust,
Think of change of body position 'commands' as cues until your dog understands what it is you want; they all know how to sit, stand, and down, they do this all the time on their own.
See the bridge and target threads in the training section for more information on achieving a participatory relationship with your dog.
Personally, I don't care to see dogs taught they can only down from a sit as it slows them down and turns it into a two part action.
Julie K

565Customz
Newborn Bully

Postby 565Customz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:26 pm

just thought i would put my two cents in on this.

i had a labrodor mix, when i was about 13, that im sorry to stay, stayed on the chain the first 3 years of his life. (i know but i was a kid and didnt know better) well of course dogs on chains are hyper active and i could never get his food to him without him jumping up, pawing, or something. so i took it upon myself to teach him to sit, and then i would give him his food. i did this, and only this, no other training, till i was about 16 and then i moved out. well my mom went out of town when i was about 19 and asked me to take care of the dog. he was older and off the chain at this point. NO LIE, everytime i saw that dog he would jump and want to play. but to the day he died, when i told him to sit. he sat. no questions asked. guess its true that when you earn it you appreciate more.

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm

I think I am doing this right.

I take her out in the morning before work and right after work, and one more time before bed. The time I take her after work is play time. Other then that I let her be in her crate. I don't go into the room if she is barking. It's been day two and she still tries to take control. At the first sign I take her to her crate and leave the room, then all I hear is barking.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:48 pm

N2K what are you trying to do with your dog? i dont understand your post..

Return to “Training and Behavior”