SATS Bridges and Targets: Overview and Applications

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Kayce Cover wrote:You're fine. It 'll go out soon and keep us posted on your experiences, please!

Okay thanks!

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how this goes. Once we get going, I will probably have a few questions too. :)

BabyReba

Re: SATS Bridges and Targets: Overview and Applications

Postby BabyReba » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:11 pm

NewOrleansSaint, did you start using this manual? I was watching some vids on YouTube and decided to revisit this thread, which has been quiet for a while now. I am curious to hear about your experiences.

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 am

This thread has been quiet for some time, but being new here, it is new to me. I had never heard of the SATS approach of training before, and to be honest, am intriqued. I love the idea of "bridging" behavior so the dog understands it is on the right track to the target. I would love to read more about this, but have concerns that the manuals are no longer being sold... I would hate to send my money and then not receive a manual? Can anyone comment on whether or not it is still possible to get the training material for this theory?

I find it fascinating the level of communication it encourages between you and your dog. It establishes a "team" approach, which I LOVE, in addition to being purely positive.

Kayce Cover
Newborn Bully

Postby Kayce Cover » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Creiter,

The manuals are still being sold. Here is where you can find the details: http://synalia.com/manuals-products/

All can be had via electronic copy now, and turn around is usually very fast. There is a new one called "TALK to me!". This was the companion booklet to my presentation at the Animals Intelligence, Behavior and Welfare Symposium, in November, 2010 at the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands. (http://www.kliniekvoorvogels.nl/news.as ... temID=2167) Along with 5 other speakers, including Drs. Jane Goodall, Irene Pepperberg and Jan van Hoof, evidence and discussion of the incredible intellectual abilities of animals was presented. My job was to show practical ways to access that intelligence. One prime way is to systematically use language with your animal. Does not take any training skill, just a mindfullness. So I wrote this booklet which has exercises and other information to help people get going with this fun and rich way of interacting with their animals. A huge bonus: a thinking dog is a calmer dog!

In April, I will be speaking here: http://pennvetwdc.org/conference/#speakers

At this event, there is a presentation, and then there are, in my case, three workshops available. This is to help people get started. However, many people do very well just starting from the manuals. There is a lot of video on my YouTube channel, (seraphicsynergism or search Kayce Cover). These are example videos rather than instructing videos.

If you want to find more information on this forum, search Julie Kinsey and SianMT. These two trainers are expert in this training system, and in training in general, and have written lots on the subject, relating specifically to your breed (I come from the exotic animal field).

I hope this information will help you get started. I think you and your dog will have a wonderful time and a great adventure and I hope you will post your experiences here, and/or to me at kc@synalia.com

Best wishes,
Kayce Cover,

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Thank you so much Kayce! I will be sending along some money shortly to purchase at least the first manual and see how things go with Duke. Have you had any success using these tactics on reactive dogs, out of curiousity? You said a thinking dog is a calmer dog, so I expect it is a useful theory of training for ANY dogs... just wasn't sure if you had SPECIFIC experiences with them and how to use this theory of training with my own slightly reactive pooch.

After testing it out on Duke, I will definitely share my experience. I look forward to finding new and fun ways to communicate with him, using this method!

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Update: Just purchased the first two manuals. I absolutely CANNOT WAIT to read and try it out! Woo hoo! :)

Kayce Cover
Newborn Bully

Postby Kayce Cover » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Dear creiter,

We have LOTS of experience teaching dogs to choose calmness. Please search under Julie Kinsey to see some of her personal examples. Your manuals are on the way.

If you start with SATS and the Family Dog, it will help you start training right away. Then you can get more in-depth information from "Introduction to Bridge and Target Technique."

Best wishes,
Kayce

Return to “Training and Behavior”