SATS Bridges and Targets: Overview and Applications

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Manypets
Newborn Bully

Postby Manypets » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:17 am

Hi All, Great video of George. I could use a sanitation engineer around here LOL. I have used BnT to teach Raven to help me spread bedding in the stalls and then she will go and collect the empty bags for me. With SATS she understands the concept of pull or push, hold it, so it is merely a matter of naming somthing, then telling her what I want her to do with the named object. Julie, how many concepts does George know? That is xxxxX cellent.
I do some freestyle with Peewee, my pitbull that was a rescue and it was so easy to teach him the lateral moves by naming his body parts. Before BnT I had tried to use the various methods of teaching this and didn't have alot of success because of how sensitive of a dog he is. Some folks use barriers to get the lateral moves, marking approximations but this just wasn't going to work with Peewee. He would shut down on me.
Anyhow, I love to see videos of SATS animals, some of the clips that Kayce has shared has brought me almost to tears when you see the expression on an animals face when it finally gets a voice.
I am so happy to see SATS being shared here. Folks that are in rescue with pitbulls will benefit so much by implementing this method .
GREAT JOB
Carrie

Julie K
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Julie K » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Carrie,
Since he's been studying and learning SATS for five years, I no longer know what words and concepts George knows. I can tell you he generalizes easily and is always eager to learn new chores/ideas, and that he often injects his own style, opinion, and sense of humor into whatever he is doing. I am truly grateful for the relationship we have and the opportunity to communicate with him.
Julie K

Manypets
Newborn Bully

Postby Manypets » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:49 am

Hi Kayce, Julie and everyone. I have to say that I wish I had more opportunities to watch advanced SATS trainers in action. I learn so much from watching the interaction because there are so many subtle nuances. I can just imagine how George Bailey must be in person.
I was at a freestyle workshop yesterday with Raven, my doberon. Raven is of the mind set that most people are "guilty until proven innocent" mind you she isn't reactive but is " on guard" when she needn't be. So, I explain to her, and most folks do not understand what I am doing LOL. One of the husbands of a lady in our club was there and he would walk in and then stand off in a corner to just watch. This really bothered the Raven. Here I am explaining, that is Steve, he is a "Friend" now that'll do. That is all it took, no more growls. Then I asked Steve if I could walk up to him and let her just sniff the back of his hand. He was fine with it. Again, I told her , this is Steve he is "nice" and a "friend" and you may smell his hand and then let her. After that, she would occasionally alert to Steve if he walked in and stood and then I could just say it's " Steve" and that's all it took. This workshop was really nice because the instructor was so open to my use of SATS, she is a clicker trainer but she doesn't care what method of training someone uses as long as it isn't harming the animal. I hate to brag, but one cannot argue that I was having alot of success with Raven. I know I sometimes got some laughs from people ( cause of talking to her, and explaining) but I just laughed along. A couple people came up to me and said that they really got a kick out of watching me with that dog. I asked them why and they said it was because it was like watching a conversation but with a dog that was humorous to them. Also a comment was made that when she made mistakes while learning the moves that it appeared that she was laughing with me. I laugh at our mistakes ( with freestyle you have to) Just to be clear I only laugh at the non mandatory behaviors not the mandatory ones.
For instance, ( this caused a few chuckles too) Raven has a personal space bubble. If a dog comes into this bubble she can get rather snarly. Before, this bubble was the size of a room, now the bubble is about 3-4 feet. With PM and explaining, I have been able to get her here. I could go into the why's of how she became non dog tolerant, but really what's the point? My issue is I now have a dog that doesn't tolerate other dogs and I have to be proactive in working with this aspect of her personality. Making excuses won't change her. I let her look at the other dogs as long as she stays easy, she has to stay easy. I don't put her in situations that she cannot stay easy but we very gradually cycle and she get's rest breaks. Now, I know that she can be attentive to me, work on new things with strange dogs near her ( they just cannot jump at her, get in her face, sniff her butt ) we still could have a problem with this, she won't stay easy for that . Anyway, we had a rude encounter with another dog ( on a flexi) that ran up to her and sniffed her butt. I got her brain back in seconds, did our exercise then I let her have a break, put her in her crate for awhile. When I took her out, she was happy to come out and work with me some more. Then, she spotted the butt sniffer dog, and started getting grumbly. ( this is where the people thought this was funny ?????) I told her that was enough, you need to listen to me, you have already corrected that dog, now listen to me and we can play OR you can go back to the crate. I used the Ib, easy and walked her right past the butt sniffer ( within a good distance so she would have the best chance of being successful) and that was that. A couple people were laughing at this???? I asked why are you laughing? " Oh, it's just funny to watch you with that dog. Why? You talk to her like she is a human and the funny thing is she listens, never seen anything like it, it's funny.
Well, <chuckle> I am glad we could brighten your day :)
So, I hope that my example will have some people thinking maybe you can talk to the animals. Just like the examples that I saw at some of the first workshops I attended inspired me, just like the work of advanced trainers in SATS give me the incentive to look even deeper still. I love it, and don't mind the giggles one bit!!
Cheers
Carrie

lganser
Newborn Bully

thanks for posting

Postby lganser » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:34 pm

8)

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 04100824 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:45 am

The other morning, I was getting ready for work. I went into our bathroom and grabbed a shirt to change into while Doug left the bedroom to go to the kitchen to get his lunch and water bottles together. Reno followed me into the bathroom and was staring at me with that "feed me" face. I looked down at him and said something along the lines of, "Daddy is going to have to feed you this morning. I'm busy. He's in the kitchen" and OFF Reno ran after Doug to get his breakfast.

I've noticed this more and more from him. Several people have asked what the point is in naming things, body parts and people and what is so great about dogs being able to put their chin on your knee or their hip on your hand. It's wonderful for things like neat tricks, obedience, coping and vet visits, yes, but the more I name things, the more I realize that I love it for the level of casual communication that we've developed as well. How nice it must be for him, too!

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 04100824 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:37 pm

Pictures from Julie K's demonstration at Texas A&M's Veterinary College Open House:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 53#1193353

:thumbsup:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:39 am

i just ordered the email SAT manual thru paypal.

Emily
Super Bully

Postby Emily » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Anyone ordered and read the new manual "SATS and the Family Dog: Basic Living Skills"? I'm patiently waiting for it to arrive. Wondering if anyone has a review of it. Sounds like it breaks it down for people like me who need the simplified version. :)) I enjoyed the first manual but still am not confident enough to make the leap.

Kayce Cover
Newborn Bully

Postby Kayce Cover » Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi Emily,

Just confirming that you received your manual! It has been a crazy year, but I hope not THAT crazy!

Best wishes in your training, Kayce

Emily
Super Bully

Postby Emily » Thu May 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Haha, I did indeed receive it months ago. Apparently there was confusion from my first order. It complemented the first manual perfectly, definitely worth the cost. Thank you much!

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Thu May 28, 2009 10:41 am

I was just about to order the manual for the family dog. I have watched a the videos on the website and I think I understand a little bit about how to start training my dog.

Question: Is the manual for the family dog written so that I only need that one to begin training my dog? Or do I have to buy the other one too? (I'd rather not at this point due to monetary issues, but if its needed then I guess I'll have to wait.)

Thanks!
Kim

Kayce Cover
Newborn Bully

Postby Kayce Cover » Sat May 30, 2009 10:22 am

The SATS and the Family Dog is all you need to start. It has no explanation of general principles - it's like a cook book with recipes. I think you'll do great.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 am

Kayce Cover wrote:The SATS and the Family Dog is all you need to start. It has no explanation of general principles - it's like a cook book with recipes. I think you'll do great.

Okay, I just ordered the SATS and the Family Dog Manual through Paypal. I look forward to getting started! :))

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:11 am

:oops: Oh, man I just realized that I didn't specify which manual I was wanted when I placed the order through Paypal. Kayce, is that okay?

Kayce Cover
Newborn Bully

Postby Kayce Cover » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 am

You're fine. It 'll go out soon and keep us posted on your experiences, please!

Return to “Training and Behavior”