Breaking up a fight with 2 or 3 dogs

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Very nice!

Knowing how to break up a fight is half the battle! A lot can happen in a very short time. Luckily, at our house the one who really wants to fight and has skill also has little nubby teeth. lol

Thanks for the pointers. The videos were very helpful. I'm going to practice.

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks for the vid Red. :) Very nice. This is how I've done it with the spring too. Hold dog between legs, grab collar and insert stick. Twist, and we're good. If he hasn't gotten too wired up, he'll release just by me sticking it in.

I now have another challenge though. I think Nippledogs bite is getting harder. He got a hold of a small tire today, and I let him carry it for a while while on our walk. It makes the Nippledog happy.
When it was time to get it from him, I used the breakstick as I many times have to do. But even when I used all my musclepower, there was no way I could twist it to open his mouth. He has always had a very hard bite, but never as strong as to where I couldn't get him off with the stick. I can only imagine how strong it will end up being when he is fully grown...

I think I'm gonna have to have him wear a pinch collar (that's the one without the spikes, right? Or is that the prong?) loosely around his neck. In addition to his other collar. Then I can choke him for a while and wait for him to regrip. Do you think that will work?
Or do you think I should get a broader stick? Will that be easier to twist?

I just hate this feeling of not being prepared in case of a real fight... :(

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:19 am

I wouldn't have him wear a prong to try to break him...my two wear very thin nylon choke collars at all times, and I have had to break one of them off the other...it worked, and worked quickly.

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:08 pm

concreterose wrote:I wouldn't have him wear a prong to try to break him...my two wear very thin nylon choke collars at all times, and I have had to break one of them off the other...it worked, and worked quickly.

I didn't mean I'd pop it or anything. Just tighten it to cut off the oxygen supply for a little bit so he hopefully regrips and I can twist the stick. I'm not even sure it would work, but I don't really know what else to try.

And I'm not too sure which one is a prong, and which one is a pinch. I mean the metal chain without spikes. Is that a prong? I don't even think the collars with spikes are legal here. I've never seen a dog wearing one.
But yeah, I'm talking about a metal choke chain, and just leave it hanging around his neck unless I have to use it.
Why nylon instead of metal? Is that better?

Additional tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:44 pm

Then I can choke him for a while and wait for him to regrip.

You know, I would really not consider chocking a dog unless you are going for the less of the evils.Meaning your dog grabbing a tiny fluffy dog and you can't manage to open his mouth whatsoever.
Consider your situation seriously before you cut off air supplies.Not over a dog holding onto a tire.I know you want to practice because nobody likes to have to manage a situation never experience before but unless it is a life or death situation...no.Metal is harder on the trachea than a nylon collar, in my opinion.

On the broader stick...you could have difficulties inserting a wider one.You might need to re-position the stick if you are not getting anywhere.How far did you insert it?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Pineapples wrote:
concreterose wrote:I wouldn't have him wear a prong to try to break him...my two wear very thin nylon choke collars at all times, and I have had to break one of them off the other...it worked, and worked quickly.

I didn't mean I'd pop it or anything. Just tighten it to cut off the oxygen supply for a little bit so he hopefully regrips and I can twist the stick. I'm not even sure it would work, but I don't really know what else to try.

And I'm not too sure which one is a prong, and which one is a pinch. I mean the metal chain without spikes. Is that a prong? I don't even think the collars with spikes are legal here. I've never seen a dog wearing one.
But yeah, I'm talking about a metal choke chain, and just leave it hanging around his neck unless I have to use it.
Why nylon instead of metal? Is that better?

Additional tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Noooo, don't try to choke him off with a prong! Two things...the ends will dig into his neck and that's painful, and the prong is a limited slip, so it's only going to tighten so much.

I agree with Red, if you just want to break him off toys, use a broader breakstick...I wouldn't go so far to choke him off toys!

I have had to use the choking method because I am often by myself with the dogs and don't have the dexterity to keep one off the other AND use a breakstick at the same time. Lifting the aggressor up off their front feet with the nylon choke collar until they let go has worked for me...everyone has their preferred method (and I hope to God that I don't have to break up ANY more fights). lol

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:44 pm

I have had to use the choking method because I am often by myself with the dogs and don't have the dexterity to keep one off the other AND use a breakstick at the same time.

Clone yourself already!!! lol
Perhaps it is because I am a 120 pound woman so the strength it is what it is (ya' know, us women...) but two pit bulls in full fight drive and one person...never thought of it as a walk in the park.

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Red wrote:You know, I would really not consider chocking a dog unless you are going for the less of the evils.Meaning your dog grabbing a tiny fluffy dog and you can't manage to open his mouth whatsoever.
Consider your situation seriously before you cut off air supplies.Not over a dog holding onto a tire.I know you want to practice because nobody likes to have to manage a situation never experience before but unless it is a life or death situation...no.Metal is harder on the trachea than a nylon collar, in my opinion.

Ok, so a nylon one it is. If that's the way to go. I think I'll order a broader stick too, and see if that helps. Worth a shot right? Any idea where I can get one, and how broad should it be?
If I can't break him off a tire/toy because his bite is so hard, how am I going to be able to break him off another dog with all the hustle and bustle a fight brings? He doesn't really regrip, and if I'm not able to use the stick, what do I do? I have broken up bully fights before (with a stick), so I know how chaotic it can get with the thrashing and the bashing. I just need a plan of action in case a fight arises and I'm not able to use the stick effectively.

With the choking I mean tightening the choke to cut off the airsupply just enough for him to regrip. Then use that opportunity to use the stick and hopefully get him off. As I see it, regripping is my only option to be able to use the stick right now. His bite is too damn hard.

On the broader stick...you could have difficulties inserting a wider one.You might need to re-position the stick if you are not getting anywhere.How far did you insert it?

You might be right about the broader stick, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I tried the stick multiple times, repositioning it. Since it was just a toy, I was in no hurry. It was pretty far in a couple of times, maybe like 5 inches. I made sure it was in the gap, but I just couldn't twist it. I've been using the stick on him for 5 months, never had a problem until the pigeon and then today. But if I'm doing it wrong I really wanna know.

concreterose wrote:Noooo, don't try to choke him off with a prong! Two things...the ends will dig into his neck and that's painful, and the prong is a limited slip, so it's only going to tighten so much.

Again, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. :) This is what I'm talking about: http://www.vetvax.com/media/coapolice.jpg
I get the choke/pinch/prong mixed up all the time. Sorry for the confusion. I don't mean the ones with the spikes sticking in. I couldn't even get those in Norway, let alone letting him wear one outside without automatically being stamped as an animal abuser. Like I said, I seriously doubt they are even legal here.

I agree with Red, if you just want to break him off toys, use a broader breakstick...I wouldn't go so far to choke him off toys!

No, I didn't mean choking him off a toy! I meant in a fight situation. I see I didn't word that clearly at all. With the toys there is no hurry, nobodys getting hurt. But if I can't even get toys from him in an effective way, I really need a plan for what to do if the toy is a dog. And like Red said, I feel like I have to practice on it so I don't question myself in a real life scenario. I need to know what to do, and that it works. I refuse to be one of those owners that just stand there run out of options and then freaking out. I urge to be responsible dammit! lol

I have had to use the choking method because I am often by myself with the dogs and don't have the dexterity to keep one off the other AND use a breakstick at the same time. Lifting the aggressor up off their front feet with the nylon choke collar until they let go has worked for me...everyone has their preferred method (and I hope to God that I don't have to break up ANY more fights). lol

Lifting him up alone isn't gonna make him let go. I've tried that. He didn't care, even with his eyes getting red and bulging out. But yeah, the lifting up part is sort of what I was picturing. So that the collar is so tight that he atleast maybe regrips, then twist the stick with all my might.
I hear you on the hoping though! I hope I don't ever have to break him off another dog either, but poop happens and I just want to be prepared. He is big and he can do a lot of damage. Also there is BSL here. In addition I couldn't live with myself if he seriously injured another dog and I could have prevented it.

Thank you for your help guys!

Michael
Super Bully

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:11 pm

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is gloves.
I keep heavy leather gloves handy.
I love to let my dogs run along side my mountain bike, or most of the time he will pull me as fast as he can :)
I had a shepard missle out of a driveway and attack my 90# male,
(stupid dog :frown: )
It was bad, my dog cut infront of me to avoid, and I ran him over.
I did an endo and landed hard on my head and shoulder.
By the time I recovered enough, and got my senses Spike was making a mess of the shepard, That was one mad pit. I think he went totally ballistic because he was protecting me.
When I finally got in position to use my breaking stick the shepard would nail my arms and hands. I finally had to wedge the bike between the dogs to keep the shepard from biting me while I used the breaking stick.
I still have scars from the shepard 15 yrs later.
Ever since then I carry heavy leather gloves.

Michael
Super Bully

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:42 pm

call Ceasar :bowdown: :bowdown:

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm

3rd, if they do fight, I usually just let it happen.

Bad idea, and a fast way to end up with a dead dog.

aznchipmunk
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby aznchipmunk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:44 am

anyone have good advice about what to do with the other dog owner?
Situation:
My boy was playing with a St. Bernard in a creek. they were chasing each other and jumping and splashing in the water having fun...then i noticed both dogs began to get heightened energy levels. the bernard looked irritated and my boy stayed excited to play.

i proceeded to get in the creek but it was slippery so i wasnt fast enough. the St. Bernard snapped at my boy's ear and he in turn grabbed hold of the bernard's side. Mostly fur, fat and skin but there was a drop of blood or two shed by both dogs.

i had a freind with me and a "doggy driver" i ran over to the two dogs and began to insert the end of the driver into my boy's mouth just as i began to do this the bernard's owner yanked the two dogs screaming and yelling bashing my boy's head with the retractable leash...i'm helpless. the man is NOT listening to me NOT complying and clearly my dog is NOT letting go. my freind has to restrain the man (she suffers a bruised arm because the man shoved her down onto the gravel) but it was just enough time for me to pry open my boy's mouth and secure him.

i understand its a delicate situation and the desparation of the other owner to react that way but GEEZ!!! LISTEN TO ME!!! I KNOW WHAT I"M FREAKIN DOING!! i kno i'm on the petite side, but alas, i know what i'm doing! so, if there are any suggestions on how to deal with thoes kinds of people...i'm OPEN

(its been 2 years and we are incident free...but that day still haunts me...and if in the unfortunate even that it happens again i DO NOT want to put MY dog in harm's way)

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:04 pm

aznchipmunk, not putting your dog in harm's way means not putting him in that situation again... no dog parks, no off lead play with strange dogs. Your dog may need recall work too, if he didnt' come when you noticed the escalating play.

aznchipmunk
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby aznchipmunk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:16 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:aznchipmunk, not putting your dog in harm's way means not putting him in that situation again... no dog parks, no off lead play with strange dogs. Your dog may need recall work too, if he didnt' come when you noticed the escalating play.

clearly, again this was 2 years ago and i have learned from that instance. but like i said it has haunted me and i'm the tyoe of person who likes to be prepared so in the off chance that something like that happens again what do i do...i know not to let my boy off leash with strange dogs so forth and so on, i'm trying to look past that part...

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:20 pm

aznchipmunk wrote:
KadillacGrrl wrote:aznchipmunk, not putting your dog in harm's way means not putting him in that situation again... no dog parks, no off lead play with strange dogs. Your dog may need recall work too, if he didnt' come when you noticed the escalating play.

clearly, again this was 2 years ago and i have learned from that instance. but like i said it has haunted me and i'm the tyoe of person who likes to be prepared so in the off chance that something like that happens again what do i do...i know not to let my boy off leash with strange dogs so forth and so on, i'm trying to look past that part...

That's great... I didn't gather that from your last post. If you're vigilant about it, you should be ok.

Return to “Training and Behavior”