How to stop chewing up beds

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

How to stop chewing up beds

Postby aschen_enegl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Roscoe's big thing is chewing up dog beds, blankets, pillows, etc. Winter is slowly appoaching and i'd like to put some blankets in with him, but he keeps tearing them up.. what can I do to stop him from doing this? He does it when your not watching him (like when i'm not home). Even if you have a blanket laying ontop of his crate, he will do anything he can to reach it and will tear it up. How do you break this habbit?

Julie K
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Julie K » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:32 pm

Could be he's too young yet & could be dangerous if he ingests it. The pup I have is up to a small towel now, not a full bath size, but bigger than a hand towel. Started out with newspaper, then a washcloth, etc. Does he have a good bone in there?
Julie K

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Postby aschen_enegl » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:22 am

Julie K wrote:Could be he's too young yet & could be dangerous if he ingests it. The pup I have is up to a small towel now, not a full bath size, but bigger than a hand towel. Started out with newspaper, then a washcloth, etc. Does he have a good bone in there?
Julie K

He'll have toys, bones, everything.. and he decides to shred the blankets and dog beds O.O he'll be 2 yrs old come february.

LexieBug1
Newborn Bully

Postby LexieBug1 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:30 am

Lexie has eaten every bed we've given her and any 'fluffy' kind of blanket. She does fine with very flat thermal type blankets though, which is what's in her crate now... it still makes me sad because she LOVES laying in Sadies crate on her bed. I keep telling her when she quits eating them she can have her own.

She has a bed in the living room now which she's tried to eat a couple of times, but I've always been there to correct her so hopefully she's getting the idea.

Christmas is coming which usually mean new beds for everyone... so we'll try again and see how she does.

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Postby aschen_enegl » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:36 am

Would the sour apple spray help with the chewing of the bed? I've heard under some conditions it does work.. but knowing roscoe he'll eat it.. he loves peppers.. we tried the pepper method for digging in the backyard.. didn't work.. he ate it O.O

cisom
Matured Bully

Postby cisom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 pm

I haven't found anything that keeps them from chewing/tearing up beds and blankets other than letting them grow up. Some dogs never stop doing it.

Return to “Training and Behavior”