Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby Stormi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm

luvnstuff- Patricia McConnell Is a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist with many, many books on dog emotions and the biology behind them. She knows what she's talking about. Her book "For The Love Of A Dog" is a wonderful book entirely dedicated to this subject. I'd highly suggest reading it! You're not entirely off base, but there are a lot of aspects to look at when it comes to talking about reinforcing emotion. Its really quite fascinating. Can we cause more problems when attempting to assure a fearful dog? Sure, absolutely. But its not because we're reinforcing the emotion itself. Generally, we're either adding to the anxiety by being a nuisance to the already overstimulated dog, or we're inadvertedly reinforcing operant components of the behavior because we're over the dog's threshold. That's what Ms McConnell is describing in that blurb that was quoted.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Stormi wrote:luvnstuff- Patricia McConnell Is a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist with many, many books on dog emotions and the biology behind them. She knows what she's talking about. Her book "For The Love Of A Dog" is a wonderful book entirely dedicated to this subject. I'd highly suggest reading it! You're not entirely off base, but there are a lot of aspects to look at when it comes to talking about reinforcing emotion. Its really quite fascinating. Can we cause more problems when attempting to assure a fearful dog? Sure, absolutely. But its not because we're reinforcing the emotion itself. Generally, we're either adding to the anxiety by being a nuisance to the already overstimulated dog, or we're inadvertedly reinforcing operant components of the behavior because we're over the dog's threshold. That's what Ms McConnell is describing in that blurb that was quoted.

I am not disagreeing for obviously I havent had time to read the links books or whatnot. But from what is qouted it seems alot the same. And in the other thread it seems alot the same, just better said, I just try to lead people in real time words, I am not a writer. I do feel like we are being played a bit here on the threads.

I will take time when I have more than a few fleeting minutes. it sound interesting and as said I am not debating at all here...just havent READ IT to make comment on anything other than what is written here yanno?
But do want to warn on abused dogs that over touching and coddling isnt usually what they need, they need solid ground to lean on and to look to, and we need to reinforce those moments of "hey life is GOOD" for the dogs sake.
As a writer, I am not going to be able to make this like an printed author.. or find the time to sit and type perfect wording and reading due to my own busy time frames.

rock on folks. :peace:

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:15 pm

luvnstuff wrote:But do want to warn on abused dogs that over touching and coddling isnt usually what they need, they need solid ground to lean on and to look to, and we need to reinforce those moments of "hey life is GOOD" for the dogs sake.

Absolutely. I know from my own perspective, if I'm overloaded with emotion and freaked out, the last thing I want is some stranger coming over and touching me :) If someone I know and have a trusting relationship tries to reassure me, I might feel relieved, but a stranger would only add to that anxiety. I entirely agree that with a new dog that seems uncertain, coddling probably is best left out of the picture.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Stormi wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:But do want to warn on abused dogs that over touching and coddling isnt usually what they need, they need solid ground to lean on and to look to, and we need to reinforce those moments of "hey life is GOOD" for the dogs sake.

Absolutely. I know from my own perspective, if I'm overloaded with emotion and freaked out, the last thing I want is some stranger coming over and touching me :) If someone I know and have a trusting relationship tries to reassure me, I might feel relieved, but a stranger would only add to that anxiety. I entirely agree that with a new dog that seems uncertain, coddling probably is best left out of the picture.

Excatly..kind of like hiring a body guard and hes a wimp. Doesnt mean later on you cant fall in love with that body guard and realize that he is there for you and love him up and love his soft side.
This two week period is an adjustment period.. some dogs come around fast some take a month or even longer depending on abuse or post life.
This was written in regards to dogs that have been thru "Something" not pets that have been under a good owner for 9 years or whatever. Its sad when I read "I wouldnt do that" when I am not sure if people know whats its like to take dogs in that have been thru so much, and see how many dogs use this get to know you period that STAY adopted and how many others get returned when pushed too fast to accept their new lives.
I see in the other thread Xhale is heading right into some training, just note two weeks may not be enough..it might be.. depends on the dog. Any training has stress and some corrections , just be sure you are doing positive training, watch the trainer and see if the dogs they work with look happily at their trainer or shy away when demands are put upon them, its a good way to see how eager to please the training is making the dog, or is the dog doing what is asked due to fear of correction .
It does feel lately this site is geared at debating lately .. just know I am not a trainer, I work in foster dogs, adopters and work on gaining trust and settling dogs into their new life and to be ready for training looking at their new owners with new open eyes.
IT works.
Xhale it seems to me you are wanting to hear its ok to really be soft with your new dog and corrective at the same time, yelling and spanking and wanting to head right into classes at the two week mark, If what you say on this dog is true, it may be too fast.
But yes I think you might do better as Red mentioned with a real time person as alot of words have headed your way and I see the same responses that you want to pet her, and dont seem to know how to handle the two dogs in your apt. Good luck to you, just remember go slow and let the dog show you when its ready.

Happy day to all. :cool:

Xhale1227
Newborn Bully

Postby Xhale1227 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 am

Any ideas with what I could cover the cage with? She keeps ripping the blanket into the cage.

If only you guys could hear the noises she is making right now. Sounds like a dying goat, mixed in with a cow, with a tad bit of tiger. LMAO

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:26 am

Xhale1227 wrote:Any ideas with what I could cover the cage with? She keeps ripping the blanket into the cage.

I

Here are a few ideas I have heard. Got any wood boards laying around (not sure the exact construction term). Put boards around crate OR even just on top and then cover with blanket, old sleeping bags, sheets etc. I also use crate pans from other crates I have.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 am

plywood ;)

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 am

FBODGRL wrote:plywood ;)

thanks! LOL I

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Going to be firm and stick to the two weeks. This is our newest addition. He was rescued from a homeless camp. Right now his name is Carlos, but I want to change it :)

Anyway, this is Carlos..Day 1 of shutdown.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Aww thank you for adopting ... he's very cute.but agree on the name ..l o /
Will be checking in on you guys!

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 am

So everything is going well and we're almost done with week one! :thumbsup: He's starting to get a bit more spunky and lovey dovey (he's been on meds, when they found him he was covered in ticks and very sick). We've renamed him McGyver. We feel it suits him perfectly! :inlove:

I took these photos yesterday:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:49 pm

:thumbsup:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Aww! My niece's cat is mcgyver! <3

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Mcgyver is so cute!! I cant wait too see the rest of his personaility shine thru! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:50 pm

So here is McGyver again (husband wants to rename him Einstein). I took these today. Tomorrow is the last day of the shut down.

He's chasing a squeaky ball in this pic - he pounces on it and tosses it up in the air. Then he'll stare at it and whine then Roooo at it. That must be the hound coming out? lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”