Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
User avatar
Heather9603
Newborn Bully
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby Heather9603 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:58 am

So its been six weeks since we brought Molly home. She's been adjusting rather well! She is a lot more relaxed, she doesn't walk around whining nearly as much as she used to, and she is learning new things very quickly. We taught her how to go and lay on her bed while we get her food ready. She learned to stay after just one night, and she learned to "go to your bed" on command in about a week. She's a very smart girl! We still feed her in the laundry room due to her having resource guarded when she first came here, but I don't have to put the gate up (I've actually trained my dogs really well not to mess with each others bowls, everyone has their little spots where their bowls go and they know not to go near the other dogs bowls)

The pictures don't really do it justice, because to me she looks about the same lol. Her facial expressions pretty much never change. She isn't much of a "tongue hanging out all happy" kind of dog. But I know she's happy because her tail is always high and going a mile a minute!

Here she is sitting in the chair giving me the "Don't know if its okay to be up here, but I'm sitting here anyway, mkay?" look :thumbsup:

Image

Trying to get my attention. By being a brat...

Image

And here is her just sitting pretty for me.

Image

User avatar
tethys13
Newborn Bully
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby tethys13 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:24 am

She is so pretty!

mhuxtable
Newborn Bully
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby mhuxtable » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:41 pm

We just brought home our adopted bully, Capo, today!m his foster mom was great so he knows all his commands...he's just getting used to us and his new home and his new environment. He doesnt go in his crate on command, but once he's in, he's happy happy.

I can totally see why this 2 week shut down will be so beneficial....just letting him mellow out and take in his new home.

I'll let everyone know how it goes!!

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:02 am

Heather9603 wrote:So its been six weeks since we brought Molly home. She's been adjusting rather well! She is a lot more relaxed, she doesn't walk around whining nearly as much as she used to, and she is learning new things very quickly. We taught her how to go and lay on her bed while we get her food ready. She learned to stay after just one night, and she learned to "go to your bed" on command in about a week. She's a very smart girl! We still feed her in the laundry room due to her having resource guarded when she first came here, but I don't have to put the gate up (I've actually trained my dogs really well not to mess with each others bowls, everyone has their little spots where their bowls go and they know not to go near the other dogs bowls)

The pictures don't really do it justice, because to me she looks about the same lol. Her facial expressions pretty much never change. She isn't much of a "tongue hanging out all happy" kind of dog. But I know she's happy because her tail is always high and going a mile a minute!

]

AWESOME!! GOOD JOB!!!

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:03 am

mhuxtable wrote:We just brought home our adopted bully, Capo, today!m his foster mom was great so he knows all his commands...he's just getting used to us and his new home and his new environment. He doesnt go in his crate on command, but once he's in, he's happy happy.

I can totally see why this 2 week shut down will be so beneficial....just letting him mellow out and take in his new home.

I'll let everyone know how it goes!!

thanks for adopting !!! Glad you read and are giving him a break and time to "get to know ya!" :nana:

mhuxtable
Newborn Bully
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby mhuxtable » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:01 am

So the 2 weeks is "officially" over tomorrow. Capo has done great. Its so true how their personality starts to REALLY shine through....he love to run circles and "laps" around the house.

He's got his basic commands. We're working on walking with perfect manners how & soon we'll be out on the sidewalk in front of our house. It's been a tough couples weeks at times, but it is so worth it to have a well balanced & behaved dog.

User avatar
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 16038
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Sitting on a Gold Mine

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:11 pm

cowboys956 wrote:Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I have never owned a Pitbull before and I wanted to adopt a grown, gray & white, female Pitbull. Well, OUR paths crossed and now we have "Kayla". I was told she was kept outside and is 8 months old, but think she is older. We taking her to the vet tomorrow for a full check up. I brought her home Sunday and she got along Great with everyone and even with my chihuahua and yorkie. I introduced them outside and they did well. Well last nite I took her for a short walk and when we got home, chihuahua and yorkie were on couch with my wife and Kayle growled and just stared at the chihuahua. It really scared my wife. She wanted to return her immediately. I had her read this post and I have to say, WE BOTH learned alot. So today will be Day 1. Wish Us Luck! Here's Kayla's Day 1 pic....

Image


Best luck with your Kayla. She is a gorgeous dog. I'm glad your wife and you are dedicated to keeping her.

It would be another great idea to always keep Kayla separated from your other dogs unless you are there to supervise them. She is much larger and stronger. I have just two mixed breed dogs and keep my dogs separated when I am out or in the shower, etc. because one is younger and stronger than the other. There are many ways to accomplish this and there is a Sticky somewhere about multiple dog households.

mhuxtable
Newborn Bully
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby mhuxtable » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:38 pm

I can attest to the importance of a 2 week shutdown. I am so glad we stuck it out with our pitbull.....their personality really doesn't come out until 2 weeks anyway. And during that time, it REALLY builds your bond and establishes you as the leader of the house.

It's hard sometimes, but sets your dog up for a lifetime of success.

Also, if you haven't, read up on Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF)...there's a sticky on it....it's so important and works wonders for establishing you as the leader and source of protection for your dog.

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 pm

cowboys956 wrote:Thanks. Yea, I keep the leash on her at all times esp. when around the smaller dogs. My wife wants for them to all get along and lay around together. I feel its too risky esp. right now and given her size, if she gets annoyed or startled, it could get ugly really really fast. I have her indoors, the weather in south texas is crazy hot!!! Gonna take things REALLY SLOW!

I am glad you slowed down ! How goes it?

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

mhuxtable wrote:I can attest to the importance of a 2 week shutdown. I am so glad we stuck it out with our pitbull.....their personality really doesn't come out until 2 weeks anyway. And during that time, it REALLY builds your bond and establishes you as the leader of the house.

It's hard sometimes, but sets your dog up for a lifetime of success.

Also, if you haven't, read up on Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF)...there's a sticky on it....it's so important and works wonders for establishing you as the leader and source of protection for your dog.

:headbang:

I was never let down in seeing a whole different dog in two weeks, its so wierd! and fun to see isnt it!?
yes NILF !!!
oh to cowboy Remember to that this pup is only 8 months , which means she is still alot of puppy in her mind, pit bulls really arent full grown mentally until at least 2 years old. Short trainings, lots of positive reinforcments, excercise play time , find me for food (back a page or two I believe) and fun training things!

User avatar
Curly_07
Moderator
Posts: 3274
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Fairfax Station, VA

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 pm

Alikai wrote:I'm curious, what do you do if you live in an apartment and have no empty rooms to crate the dog in? I'm pretty sure it's to late for Anubis since he's been here for 3 days already but I'm curious about this. Our apartment is high traffic, I have two cats and another dog, my daughter and my husband and I. So there is always someone somewhere. Our room is normally the quietest and most laid back because we have a quiet rule for our room, would it be best for a crate to go here? Is the two week shutdown still possible if he's already been here a few days?


It's never too late to do the shutdown. Especially if you only have had the dog a few days. If your room is the least traffic place, that would probably be best. With fosters I always picked the least traffic area of the house for them.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

User avatar
JenLeigh
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1687
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:36 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby JenLeigh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 am

How late is too late? A week? A month? Two months?

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 pm

My first "2weeks" was with my 5 year old and had em.since a young puppy, it didnt fix all but we definatly experienced some amazing shifts in his attitude and behaviour!


Return to “Training and Behavior”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests