If you don't have a break stick, please get one!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
spammie

If you don't have a break stick, please get one!

Postby spammie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:10 pm

Most of you know 3 weekd ago we adopted Jude. The 2 dogs have been non reactive to each other and the transition has been going smoothly. This evening, I had both dogs in the backyard to use the bathroom. We had just returned from a long walk. The dogs were off leash and doing their business. The next door neighbor let their poodle out in the yard, and she came charging the fence and barking.
Both my dogs also ran to the fence and before I could get there, they directed the excitement on each other.
Jude had bitten Kanes leg and would't let go. It took several minutes to get them seperated. Kane has 2 deep punctures to his leg and Jude has several less serious punctures to her face.
It was over within a few minutes, but if I would have had a break stick, maybe Kane would be less injured.
It hurts my heart that they were injured in my care. I was planning on purchasing the sticks at the first of the month.
If you have dogs, please have the tool available.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:30 pm

I plan on getting one too Pam.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 pm

Where can you buy them from?
I was just looking around the internet - and couldn't find them

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:51 pm

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:55 pm

It was so scary. I'm ordering my sticks tomorrow.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Thank you for the link - I just bought 2 :thumbsup:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Re: If you don't have a break stick, please get one!

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:23 pm

spammie wrote:Both my dogs also ran to the fence and before I could get there, they directed the excitement on each other.

I have seen Logan and Molly do this on a few occassions. It only happens during the summer when they are on the deck and dogs pass by our yard. I have always been able to stop them by clapping my hands and saying "KNOCK IT OFF". Your thread is a good reminder that a breakstick is a necessity when owning APBT's.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:53 am

I personally think a break stick is a good idea when owning ANY multiple dogs - not just APBT's (well, maybe a popsicle stick would suffice for Chi's lol )

My great uncle had dauschunds for breeding/showing - from what I've heard, they are just as tenacious.

If your dog is set on killing something (a normal dog behavior) then it's a good idea to have this tool :thumbsup:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:25 am

aww Spammie! I am sorry , I personally HATE dog fights, (i am sure most of us do) but they really get me shaken up,
I do ok until its over and I go into a shaking melt down.. l o l.

This type of argument does happen pretty fast and easy.
"re directed" aggression.
Guess now we know where your next "training" area will be, the fence line.
(and the lil doggy next door)

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:52 am

That's absolutely right, luvnstuff! I just reinforced my fence this week, because the neighbor on the other side of me got an adult boston for Christmas.
Aaagh...I surrounded by little yappy dogs!
I did order my sticks, though and everybody in the house will learn how to use them.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:23 am

My two got into a horrible fight last summer at the fence, v redirected on solomon...it sucked, so I know how you feel! I leave a break stick hanging outside now but I also did a LOT of training with them at the fence on focusing and staying calm when dogs, etc. walk past...Vicki is the instigator, so she was my main focus. It also helps to keep a thin choke collar on your dogs, as I was able to choke them off of each other fairly quickly.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Mil. I'm going to secure one in the backyard, and keep one with me on walks and leave it on the leash rack when we're home. Kane went to the vet today . His leg was swollen twice normal size.
He got 2 antibiotic injections, a 10 day course for home, and the whole visit only cost 70.00. I love living in small town, USA!

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:52 pm

KeelazMom wrote:I personally think a break stick is a good idea when owning ANY multiple dogs - not just APBT's (well, maybe a popsicle stick would suffice for Chi's lol )

My great uncle had dauschunds for breeding/showing - from what I've heard, they are just as tenacious.

If your dog is set on killing something (a normal dog behavior) then it's a good idea to have this tool :thumbsup:

I have read that break sticks are only to be used on APBTs due to the gap in their back teeth in a few places. They said you can break teeth on other brreds. Not sure how true it is and never owned another breed. Just a warning.

Also, you can make your own break stick with a circular saw and a wooden Hammer Handle. A lot cheaper than buying one :)

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:56 pm

I can't believe Vicki hurt her brother!

I have a really nice hardwood stick that Tim of BADRAP made. Shoot them an email if you have a hard time finding one, they may make another batch.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:51 pm

AriesGodofWar wrote:
KeelazMom wrote:I personally think a break stick is a good idea when owning ANY multiple dogs - not just APBT's (well, maybe a popsicle stick would suffice for Chi's lol )

I have read that break sticks are only to be used on APBTs due to the gap in their back teeth in a few places. They said you can break teeth on other brreds. Not sure how true it is and never owned another breed. Just a warning.

Also, you can make your own break stick with a circular saw and a wooden Hammer Handle. A lot cheaper than buying one :)

Pit bulls (and terriers in general) have a fighting style of holding and shaking from side to side...other breeds jab and dart in and out when they are fighting...plus they will redirect on you quicker than a bull dog will. It is easier (and safer) to break off a bulldog during a fight without getting bitten.
KadillacGrrl wrote:I can't believe Vicki hurt her brother!

She can be a nasty little bitch when she gets a bug up her butt, which is why I keep her PLENTY busy lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”