AT LONG LAST! JESSUP SPILLS ALL ABOUT THE "OUT"!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
T-rabbit

Postby T-rabbit » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 pm

i love this

dtp916
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby dtp916 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:48 pm

My dog lets go, drops on command thanks to persistant and positive training from me and my father (who trained German Shepards). Even if we're playing tug-o-war or the springpole, I'm very proud of him. I hate it when I see pit bulls and their owners yelling at them to let go of something. Reminds me on Family Guy when Peter bought the pet T-Rex.

Drop IT! Drop IT!Drop IT!Drop IT!Drop IT!

It's funny in the movie, but not when your dog is running around with something it shouldn't have.

shannypits
Newborn Bully

Postby shannypits » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:31 pm

My dogs always release on command-- they actually always have-- I've got softies-- except for my monster-- she's part lab so she'll let go on command in the hopes you'll let her run after it again, but you have to out her or she'll keep it forever! my youngest will only out to me if we trade -- she's going to be a wild one-- but with an angel's face!

babypit
Newborn Bully

Cheek biting and holding...

Postby babypit » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:38 pm

This seems to be an very related topic to this one, so I decided to post here instead of a new post - especially since someone mentioned getting their dog to "out" when they've got a hold on a live animal.

My 7 mos old pit mix really loves to grab the cheek skin of other dogs and hold it.

Let me first explain the situations under which this occurs. There is a set of trails nearby where about 10 people I know walk their dogs regularly. So, I've been walking Baby there, off leash, since I got her at 4 mos. All the other dogs walk off leash too, and everything I read indicated that this should be okay up to about 6 mos, especially since it was always the same dogs. Plus they weren't fenced-in in an enclosed area.

And it HAS been fine. Baby is super submissive. The least little snarl or sign of irritation from any of her playmates and she rolls onto her belly.

However, she LOVES to play. Most times this isn't a problem. They'll all run and chase and wrestle - great exercise and great socialization. From the beginning, when she caught up and two dogs started to wrestle, she's always loved grabbing for the cheek and holding on. She has a very soft bite, and this has never caused another dog to cry out, so I'm pretty certain that it's not too hard (the other dog's owners assured me that their dogs would let her know if she went to far). And there's nothing agressive about it, nothing personal. She never growls at them, never tries to shake. Just grabs and holds, and sometimes pulls.

At first she would let go when I told her to. But lately, she won't let go, even if I go up to her and try pulling her off (there seems to still be no pain involved for the other dog, but she definitely has a solid hold - I've had fur come off in her mouth, though there is no blood/broken skin).

Needless to say, this has quite made myself and the other owners rather nervous, and I have stopped taking her there for walking. Which is a shame, because she loves so much to be around other dogs.

My question is, is there hope for stopping this behavior? Some have said in this post that they have no expectations that their dog would let go of a live animal. On the other hand, since it's not an agression thing, and she isn't a "hard" dog, and I'm not training her for bite work at all (she's just my family pet), maybe there IS hope? Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? COULD I use the techniques in this thread to train her to "out" a dog she knows while she's playing (assuming it's not a situation where a fight ahs broken out)? It seems like puppies must learn appropriate "play" behavior from aome place - other dogs, etc. Can *I* teach that to her?

calikeith
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby calikeith » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:27 pm

this is horrable,a apbt should never be trained to be protective,imagine the medias witch hunt!!!!all apbts love all humans and any apbt that doesnt is a mutt bull mastiff cross,my apbt licked a murder in the face and went home with him to his crack house and cooked him macaroni and cheese and spotted him money for a 40oz at the fast and sleezy mart...
j/k...
cool info....

PAROTO49
Adolescent Bully

Postby PAROTO49 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:50 pm

what happened to this sticky..!!!!!!! great info keep it comming!!!!1 :headbang:

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Wait a moment....is this really DJ....my hero?
Giving free advice here on this lovely forum?

ChrisSE19
Newborn Bully

Postby ChrisSE19 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:30 am

I've been spending quite a bit of time with our two getting them to "back down".
They are doing great, Pip does it straight away, Daisy is still catching onto the idea. I was using rewards at first (little treats).

Maybe i have different reasons for teaching my dogs this command...for the day i am hoping never happens but one day, probably will, they get into a fight... which is the reason i am teaching them both at the same time.

Bennysmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Bennysmom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:51 pm

:bowdown: By far the best info around, thanks so much !

jojomojo75
Newborn Bully

Postby jojomojo75 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:44 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:Wait a moment....is this really DJ....my hero?
Giving free advice here on this lovely forum?

I dont think she is on here anymore. I had her evaluate a dog of mine the year she posted this. I dont know what happened but I havent seen her on here since. I always liked her, but haev no clue where she went.
Awesome advice here!

Fresh
Newborn Bully

Postby Fresh » Thu May 28, 2009 5:00 pm

out of all the information i looked up and received...this is the one of the best by far...thanx

cvriv.charles
Newborn Bully

Re: AT LONG LAST! JESSUP SPILLS ALL ABOUT THE "OUT"!

Postby cvriv.charles » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:59 am

Gawd the idea of this scares me, LOL. My girlfriend would kill me if she saw me trying to get my pit to bite and bite hard. She just wouldnt understand.

Just I understand this correctly,... the purpose of teaching these dogs to inflict kill bites is so that the dog has a way of releasing stress? And to teach them to let go of anything they have a hold of correct? I am understanding the method you are explaining in this thread. But i am just a bit worried that maybe my dog will kill bite something else other than his special toy. This all makes sense though and I am seriously enjoying reading all this,... truely.

cvriv.charles
Newborn Bully

Postby cvriv.charles » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:58 am

One more thing,... how do you stop the two toy play session? You flash the second toy so the dog releases the first. But now he wants the second toy. Do I need to issue another completely different command to get him off the two toy and them give him a treat?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:46 pm

The original post referenced biting in a sport context (Schutzhund, etc) The protection sports involve a great deal of training in much besides the bite and hold part. The out command is a valuable one for even a pet dog not involved in protection sports. Tug is a normal, fun game for dog and handler alike. Not sure where you got the 'inflicting kill bites' part? Dogs are extremely perceptive, they can telll the difference between a toy and, well, you.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 pm

IMO The 2 tug focus is the problem with this thread. The 2 toy method is pretty antiquated and this future dog owners would be best served if this thread were erased. Using one toy to initiate the out of the possessed toy is not conducive to learning the out. It takes time, experience and timing 1 learn this method properly, 2) to wean off this method properly and it is something most people won't or don't do. Once people start using this method, they tend to think it is just so much easier to wave a second toy in the dogs face to get the release of the first toy.

However, If they taught the out with one toy from the start, the process would actually be MUCH MUCH faster and easier to train than the 2 toy method. Its too bad that this thread is so long and has had so much apparent influence over those who have read it. I'd just as soon refer people to the one toy method and get dogs that know out and will out without conflict, on command because you requested it, period. This method is 100% hands-off and positive motivation and if you ever leave your second toy at home, you don't have to find a stick, or use your nice new jacket as a replacement to get your dog to give you her ball or tug. But I guess to each his/her own.

Return to “Training and Behavior”