When a pit bull attacks a human...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Annika
Addicted to PBF

When a pit bull attacks a human...

Postby Annika » Wed May 07, 2008 10:20 am

My husband was called to the ER at midnight two nights ago and spent 3 hours there, sewing up the eyelids of a 13-year-old boy who was mauled by his aunt's pit bull.

The boy had been taunting the pit bull, jabbing him with sticks and throwing rocks at him, when the dog lashed out. He bit off a chunk of the boy's chest, chunks of his arms, and messed up his face.

So obviously, some pretty nasty triggers for this dog. But I still wonder -- shouldn't a sound pit bull with a good temperament NOT react this way, even when badgered so? I was just thinking if someone were to do this to Piper. I can picture her snapping defensively, growling, trying to get away, perhaps just gnashing her teeth at the sticks or rocks. But to go above and beyond, remove flesh, and persist -- was that dog mentally flawed to begin with?

A sad story all around. No doubt the dog will be put down if it hasn't been already. The boy will have some ugly scars but will be OK -- let those scars be a lifelong reminder to him of the consequences of animal cruelty.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the dog. Taunted and provoked, yes -- but perhaps unsound to begin with?

Lauren
Newborn Bully

Postby Lauren » Wed May 07, 2008 10:46 am

I guess first of all it depends on the duration and the intensity of the taunting. Second of all: his reaction might not be the most common one, regardless of the intensity and duration of the taunting, but I guess it is understandable.

Where were the kid's parents and/or aunt!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 am

honestly, i think it ought to take a lot for most dogs to go to that level of defense. that's the kind of response i would expect from a dog that thinks its life is in danger, and i don't equate harrassment and teasing with behaviors that a dog should find that deeply threatening.

and considering a pit bull with a proper temperament should not feel threatened and put on the defense easily, i do think that's a sign of incredibly poor temperament.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed May 07, 2008 11:43 am

please...taunting..poking with stick.. throwring rocks at it , FOR HOW LONG? I assume the dog is tied out..with no adult/human supervision, the boy had no supervision ?
Dogs in this state taunted are a freakin ticking TIME BOMB , I dont care WHAT it is.
this is the sad state of our world..where are the adults ?..why is the dog tied up and repeatly picked on?. I bet 10 to 1 this isnt the first aggressive, DEFENSIVE move this dog has made..
I blame ALL on this one.

No a dog, pit bull or poodle all have their breaking point. I mean, come on.

I feel for the dog, who paid with his life, I feel for the KID, due to the parents now will have a life of healing, I blame adults/humans for allowing these set ups to happen.

Read this article it states alot on how I feel when I hear of these incidents..

http://www.whosthedog.net/Blog/Entries/ ... at_11.html

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Wed May 07, 2008 12:02 pm

So we have a little disagreement -- interesting.

Unfortunately I don't know how long or how severely the kid taunted the dog. I don't know how frequently he may have done it in the past. I also don't know the dog's history -- but would hazard a guess that yes, it lived its life tied out and ignored without love or discipline.

Who knows, if the kid lived with the aunt to begin with, maybe he has a rotten story with his parents and is truly a troubled kid.

It's just hard to say. WOULD the dog have been a solid, sweet, family pet for 12+ years if raised properly? Did it have a predisposition? Did it crack because this kid took it past its breaking point? I'd imagine the breaking point on this breed, on a good specimen, would be quite high.

I dunno. It's just so awful. How many of our breed go out in a bloodbath like this because of a culmination of negative events? How many news stories must be published before people STOP torturing and provoking powerful animals? What was hurting so badly in this kid's heart that made him take it out on this dog?

So messed up, all of it. And the worst part is, it's the oldest story in the book. :(

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:29 pm

With the kid being 13, I can only imagine what he was doing to the dog. This kid knew better no matter what his past experience was. Sorry but it seems like now kids way out of their actions are to bring up they were abused, had rough life etc.

I am not one who believes just because we own pit bulls they should sit there and take any abuse. Yes they have higher pain tolerance than most breeds, but they do still feel pain.

I doubt that this was a one time thing for this boy to harass the dog.

Julie

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed May 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Annika wrote:So we have a little disagreement -- interesting.

So messed up, all of it. And the worst part is, it's the oldest story in the book. :(

'I am not so sure we really disagree.. But no dog, I do not care the breed is really safe if being taunted...the bite may be more severe than some other breeds but not really. The media loves to report bully breeds, there was a golden retriever that attacked a city worker,, funny it wasnt on the new.. (The dog was put down) ..I wouldnt know about it but my friend works with the guy and saw the whole thing.
Our dogs are no different than any dog tied up, and tied up dogs are prone to prey defensive drive ..

We are the single most reponsible being for our dogs. And those who dont care keep fueling the world of bad stories and new reports.

:frown:

Bulldaddy
Matured Bully

Postby Bulldaddy » Wed May 07, 2008 1:11 pm

where were the brats parents.... why was he alone with the pitbull .... why was he able to behave in such a tormenting way with an animal ....

I would have bit him to.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed May 07, 2008 1:13 pm

luvnstuff wrote:
Annika wrote:So we have a little disagreement -- interesting.

'I am not so sure we really disagree.. But no dog, I do not care the breed is really safe if being taunted...the bite may be more severe than some other breeds but not really. The media loves to report bully breeds, there was a golden retriever that attacked a city worker,, funny it wasnt on the new.. (The dog was put down) ..I wouldnt know about it but my friend works with the guy and saw the whole thing.
Our dogs are no different than any dog tied up, and tied up dogs are prone to prey defensive drive ..

:goodpost:
We are the single most reponsible being for our dogs. And those who dont care keep fueling the world of bad stories and new reports.

:frown:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed May 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Oops, :goodposting: Stacey!

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Wed May 07, 2008 1:18 pm

It is a unfortunate incident and without knowing more details there isnt much to say.
Is that ALL the child did?
Was the dog chained?
Was the dog a family dog or left somewhere leaving him vulnerable to this type of abuse?

Who's to say when enough is enough? Regardless of the duration of the taunting it is still the boy's fault.....lil brat. Really what should the dog have done in this situation?
A lot of us know our dogs would not reacct this way but we know nothing about this dog. If he was a intact male guarding his territory and was chained up then I can see why. Its not right but I can see why

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Wed May 07, 2008 1:57 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:It is a unfortunate incident and without knowing more details there isnt much to say.
Is that ALL the child did?
Was the dog chained?
Was the dog a family dog or left somewhere leaving him vulnerable to this type of abuse?

Who's to say when enough is enough? Regardless of the duration of the taunting it is still the boy's fault.....lil brat. Really what should the dog have done in this situation?
A lot of us know our dogs would not reacct this way but we know nothing about this dog. If he was a intact male guarding his territory and was chained up then I can see why. Its not right but I can see why

Right. We really don't know anything. So it's really hard to judge.

I've been trying to remain neutral in this conversation and sympathetic to all parties but it IS hard to restrain my urge to burst into the kid's hospital room and teach him a lesson he'll never forget.

Hopefully the pit bull already has.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed May 07, 2008 2:08 pm

please...taunting..poking with stick.. throwring rocks at it , FOR HOW LONG?

i'm not replying to all the details in a situation since most of them are not available. responding just to what's presented, and assuming that's all there is to this . . . sounds like the dog's response was rather over the top.

dogs get poked with sticks and have things thrown at them and so on a lot, unfortunately. the majority of them don't respond by mauling children so badly that they take hunks out of their bodies. they may bite, they may bite badly--but most normal dogs don't try to kill children unless they think lives are at really at stake. or they are really kind of messed up to begin with. weak-nerved dogs + kids who torment = recipe for huge disaster.

but i don't think this dog's response ought to be considered the response of a "normal" dog. most normal dogs have more normal responses to unpleasant life events . . . if they didn't, we'd have a lot more mauled kids (and adults) walking the world.

mrpps
Adolescent Bully

Postby mrpps » Wed May 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Any dog of sound temperament may understandably snarl, growl or even bite someone who is hurting them. But sound dogs do those things to stop something. They don't escalate after the tormenting activity has stopped.

For the dog to continue to ravage the kid for long enough to inflict the injuries described here, probably is indicative of a dog that for any number of possible reasons (genetically or through training, neglect, or abuse) was capable of going off like that under other conditions that we would not be so incensed about.

steptide
Matured Bully

Postby steptide » Wed May 07, 2008 3:01 pm

mrpps wrote:Any dog of sound temperament may understandably snarl, growl or even bite someone who is hurting them. But sound dogs do those things to stop something. They don't escalate after the tormenting activity has stopped.

For the dog to continue to ravage the kid for long enough to inflict the injuries described here, probably is indicative of a dog that for any number of possible reasons (genetically or through training, neglect, or abuse) was capable of going off like that under other conditions that we would not be so incensed about.

dont forget , dogs know exactly where their teeth are. it doesnt take long for these injury's to occur. the "attack" couldve seriously lasted 10 seconds.

im gonna guess though , bad temperment or good , the boy was using some type of threatening gestures towards this dog. pitbull or not , dogs should not be taunted in anyway. this is a recipe for disaster , as we now have proof .

on a side note , i remember a few yrs ago some douche bag was barking at my dog inside my car. he got right up to the window and they were barking at each other face to face through the glass. i told the idiot if he kept doing it , i was gonna let my dog out of the car and make him bark at my dog face to face. he walked away quite quickly...idiots

Return to “Training and Behavior”