Friend wants to adopt pit bull mix but...

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
malakai
Newborn Bully

Friend wants to adopt pit bull mix but...

Postby malakai » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:37 pm

My boss is a hardcore dog lover, has been eyeing this 2 yr old pit mix at a shelter and asking me questions about pit bulls in general. He has 2 black labs and his neighbor's dogs come over often. He is gone most of the day and the dogs are alone, with a big yard, pool and doggy door to come inside if they desire.

Would you say it would be OK to leave all the dogs at home together all day (9a-5p)? He was pretty set on getting the dog, but today we spoke about leaving them all together and is on the fence about it.

Thanks!

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Re: Friend wants to adopt pit bull mix but...

Postby Cat24 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Most of us do not suggest leaving dogs together(or with other animals) unsupervised. Many people do it and it's fine, but it literally takes a scrap over a single toy or possessiveness over a spot to start a fight that might leave him with no dogs at all.

This is not breed specific, but it's also important to acknowledge that those who own "Pit Bull Types" should aim to be breed ambassadors and do everything they can to ensure their dogs are set up to succeed, not fail.

The following is a synopsis of a situation that happened to a member here despite all of the proper precautions being taken:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157639&p=2035617&hilit=adrienne#p2035451

I never want to discourage a rescue, but these are the realities of owning multiple dogs.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:21 pm

I wouldn't leave them alone together. It doesn't take much to start a fight sometimes.

sunnygirl01
Adolescent Bully

Postby sunnygirl01 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:12 pm

I have to agree with both posts above....my girl will never start a fight but she will always finish it. It really doesn't take much... Food, a toy, a snarky attitude...once it has been started, she will fight. Two weeks ago she was involved with another dog that had never shown aggression whatsoever before. The owner was shocked that a fight broke out. Luckily we were both prepared and had them both an a leash. My girl still ended up with a cut above her eye. And that was only a few seconds. An unattended fight can easily mean severe injury or death of both dogs.

petty254
Newborn Bully

Postby petty254 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm

I would be very cautious leaving the dogs by themselves that could be a disaster in waiting. Unless the dogs are so used to each other.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”