Ohio House Bill 14

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Ohio House Bill 14

Postby I<3mypit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:46 am

If you live in Ohio and could take the time to support House Bill 14.

It is time to support the removal of the "vicious dog" label from Pit Bulls and any other dog considered "vicious". We deserve to be able to own a pet without restrictions. These dogs are loving caring members of society who deserve a chance and a good life like any other dog. Please contact our local rep and support this bill.

Email at: sd27@senate.state.ohio.com
Write at: Summit County, Frank LaRose Senate Building 1 Capitol Square, 2nd floor Columbus, OH 43215
Call at: (614) 466-4823

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=129_HB_14

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Re: Ohio House Bill 14

Postby I<3mypit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:24 pm

I found this online. Ohio residents can sign this bill petition electronically!

http://www.change.org/petitions/ohio-le ... rimination

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Will do! Any update on how far its gone? I sure hope it passes this time!

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 pm

No updates yet. I have been told it is temporarily on hold. I will definitely post when I hear of any updates.

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:37 am

Earlier I emailed Senator Tom Sawyer about HB 14: Removing the vicious dog label from Pit Bulls. I received this response:

Thank you for writing to me about House Bill 14. I appreciate your efforts and respect your views on this issue.

H.B. 14 did pass through the House and is currently awaiting hearings in the Senate Judiciary Criminal Justice Committee. As this bill moves through the Senate I will keep your concerns and views in mind.

Thank you again for writing to me; it is an honor to serve you in the Ohio Senate.

Sincerely,
Tom Sawyer
State Senator,
28th District

Progress is being made in the right direction! :headbang:

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:04 pm

thanks for the update!

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:50 am

Ohio Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a public hearing on HB14 on November 16th at 3:15 PM North Hearing Room, 2nd Floor, Senate Building. This bill if passed would remove BSL from the State law!!!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 am

Best of luck to you OHIO!

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 am

Nelson to panel: 'vicious' dog law in Ohio archaic

BY JIM PROVANCE
BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU CHIEF

COLUMBUS -- Country singer Willie Nelson called Ohio's 24-year-old law declaring the "pit bull" to be a "vicious" dog by virtue of its existence an "archaic breed‐discriminatory law."

In an email to a Senate committee, Mr. Nelson, an ambassador for the Best Friends Animal Society, urged passage of House Bill 14. The bill would do away with the breed-specific language and make other changes to dog enforcement law.

"Ohio is the only state that discriminates against dogs who share a cluster of physical characteristics by classifying this group as 'vicious' without any regard to individual dog behavior," the email reads. "These dogs are considered 'vicious' at birth, even though there are countless dogs of unknown heritage who are deemed 'pit bulls' who are wonderful family pets.

"In addition to being beloved pets, many 'pit bulls' are show dogs, search and rescue dogs, and service dogs," Mr. Nelson wrote.

"The current law infringes on responsible dog owners' rights to own any dog they choose, no matter what the dog's appearance. Dogs, like people, are individuals and should each be judged on his/her own merits."

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Barbara Sears (R., Monclova Township), passed the House 69-29 last spring. The Senate Judiciary Committee began its consideration of the measure Wednesday. Opposition has come primarily from lawmakers from urban areas where "pit bulls" have become a dog of choice for dog-fighting and to guard drug houses.

Current law defines a "vicious dog" as one that, without provocation, has killed or seriously injured a person, has killed another dog, or is of the general breed known as "pit bull." House Bill 14 would replace that language with revised definitions of "vicious" and "dangerous" dogs and create a new classification of "nuisance" dog. None would include any breed-specific language.

"Recently, Toledo, the largest city in [Lucas County], had an extremely restrictive dog ordinance that is focused on pit bulls," Ms. Sears told the Senate Judiciary Committee. "Toledo also has the highest dog license fees in the state and spent a large amount each year euthanizing innocent dogs that resemble pit bulls.

"Despite Toledo's extremely restrictive ordinance that focuses on pit bulls, the number of dog bites actually rose in 2008," she said. "Toledo's ordinance did not address the irresponsible owners. It killed dogs."

Toledo has since eliminated its breed-specific law. House Bill 14 would not overwrite local ordinances enacted in home-rule communities.

The state issue has attracted attention from across the nation as well.

More than 11,000 people have signed an online petition at Change.org calling on Ohio senators to remove "pit bull" from the state's definition of vicious dogs.

Jean Keating, president of the Ohio Coalition of Dog Advocates, is leading the campaign, which has gained the support of actor Ian Somerhalder of television shows Lost and The Vampire Diaries.

In Ohio, this marks the second time that the House has passed a bill to eliminate Ohio's distinction as the only state with a breed-specific law. Such a measure died in the Senate last session, but Ms. Sears said she's confident that additions to the bill providing additional tools and fees to dog wardens will make the difference this time.

Under the bill, the most severe classification of a "vicious" dog would be one that, without provocation, has killed or seriously injured a person. A "dangerous" dog would be one that has killed another dog or been a three-time offender as a "nuisance" dog.
These two most serious classifications would trigger registration, liability insurance, signage, housing, microchip, and other requirements.

A "nuisance" dog would be one that while, off its owner's property, menacingly chased, approached, or attempted to bite a person. The first offense would start a record with the dog warden. Critics have complained that the bill would essentially allow the dog a free first bite before restrictions are imposed on owners.

Staff writer Tanya Irwin contributed to this report.
Contact Jim Provance at: jprovance@theblade.com or 614-221-0496.

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2011/1 ... chaic.html

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 am

Senate working on legislation to remove pit bulls from vicious dog category

By MARC KOVAC
Dix Capital Bureau

COLUMBUS -- The Ohio Senate began deliberations this week on legislation that would remove pit bulls from the state's definition of vicious dogs and create a three-tiered system for categorizing potentially dangerous canines.

"The current law is too vague and bases the term vicious in part on the dog's appearance when it should be on the dog's behavior and individual personality," Rep. Barbara Sears, a Republican from the Toledo area, told the Senate's judiciary committee. "Pit bull type dogs are being specifically singled out and targeted on their appearance and not on any offense that they have ever committed."

The legislation passed the Ohio House earlier this year by a vote of 69-29.

Under existing state law, vicious/dangerous dogs are defined as those that, without provocation, chase people in a menacing fashion, kill or cause serious injury to any person or kill another dog.

Additionally, the definition covers animals belonging "to a breed that is commonly known as a pit bull dog."

HB 14 removes pit bulls from the state definition and creates three classifications for problem dogs:

-- "Nuisance" dogs would be used for dogs that have chased or attempted to bite people without provocation while off of their owners' premises.

-- "Dangerous" dogs would cover those that have had three nuisance violations, or have injured people or have killed another dog without provocation while away from their owners' premises.

-- "Vicious" dogs would be defined as those that have killed or caused serious injury to a person without provocation while away from their owners' premises.

Owners of dogs in all three categories would face certain requirements for the handling of their pets, with criminal penalties for failing to do so.

"With the addition of due process language, we finally give animal agents a way to deal with potentially harmful dogs," Sears said.

"Whether an owner has a pit bull breed, Doberman, Husky or Yorkie, a dog will be adjudicated based on behavior, not its birth."

Marc Kovac is the Dix Capital Bureau Chief. E-mail him at mkovac@dixcom.com

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/5125427

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:06 am

HB14 is being given sponsor testimony tomorrow morning (Wednesday, November 16) in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The bill has already passed in the House.

From Jean Keating of the Ohio Coalition of Dog Advocates:

The time is now for dog lovers all over Ohio to come together and take a giant step forward in creating safer communities. House Bill 14 has already cleared the Ohio House of Representatives and is beginning hearings in the Ohio Senate. Call your Senator today and let them know you want Ohio's dogs to be judged on the basis of their behavior and not their physical appearance. You want reckless owners to be held accountable for creating dangerous and vicious dogs. Come on Ohio, let's join the rest of the country, end breed discrimination today!

Link to the Senate Judiciary Committee:
http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committees/st ... ciary.html

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks for all the updates Heather, I really hope this passes!

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:27 pm

I really really hope it passes this time.. thanks for keeping us updated!

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:51 am

Proponent Testimony for HB 14 will be Tuesday, December 6th at 3:15pm in the North Room of Senate Building.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM3uDc6A ... ture=email

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 am

Ohio HB 14: Amendments introduced, vote moved to January

At the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing for HB 14, three minor amendments were introduced and a number of people spoke or submitted written testimony in support of the bill. Because of the new amendments, the committee vote on the bill has been postponed until January.

Please continue to show your support for HB 14 by contacting committee members and asking them to vote the bill out of committee. If the bill passes committee, then it goes to the full Senate for a vote. If the Senate approves it, it has to go back to the House for another vote (because of the Senate committee amendments). We still have a ways to go, but the bill’s progress to date is encouraging.

Contact the Senate Judiciary Committee and urge them to pass HB 14 out of committee:
SD02@senate.state.oh.us
SD22@senate.state.oh.us
SD25@maild.sen.state.oh.us
SD12@senate.state.oh.us
SD09@maild.sen.state.oh.us
SD27@senate.state.oh.us
SD29@senate.state.oh.us
SD33@maild.sen.state.oh.us
SD08@senate.state.oh.us

Reference: http://stopbsl.com/2011/12/14/ohio-hb-1 ... o-january/

Here is an article on the subject: http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2011/1 ... urged.html

Return to “Laws”