Ohio House Bill 14

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
heather
Addicted to PBF

Re: Ohio House Bill 14

Postby heather » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:01 am

End ‘pit bull’ restrictions, Ohio urged

Rules contrary to addressing problem, veterinarian tells Senate panel

BY TANYA IRWIN
BLADE STAFF WRITER

COLUMBUS — A veterinarian told lawmakers Tuesday that during her many years of practice, she was more fearful of potentially being bitten by miniature Dachshunds than by any so-called “pit bull” breed.

Dr. Linda Lord, who was testifying on behalf of the 2,400 veterinarians and 300 student members of the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, of which she is president, urged lawmakers to end Ohio’s restrictions against “pit bulls.”

“The effective control of vicious animals is in the best interest of the state. However, current law placing restrictions on one specific type of dog is contrary to actually addressing the problem of aggressive canine behavior,” Dr. Lord, who also is associate dean for student affairs at the Ohio State University college of veterinary medicine, told the Senate Judiciary Committee. “From a veterinary medicine standpoint, the most effective animal-control laws focus on responsible and humane animal ownership and the actions of the animal. Placing arbitrary limitations on the ownership of a specific type of dog only serves to create a stigma and place undue burdens on responsible animal owners.”

House Bill 14, sponsored by state Rep. Barbara Sears (R., Monclova Township), passed the House 69-29 last spring. Sen. Mark Wagoner (R., Ottawa Hills), the Senate Judiciary chairman, has tentatively scheduled a committee vote for January.

Current law defines a “vicious dog” as one that, without provocation, has killed or seriously injured a person, has killed another dog, or is of the general breed known as “pit bull.” House Bill 14 would replace that language with revised definitions of “vicious” and “dangerous” dogs and create a new lower-level classification of “nuisance dog.” None of the definitions would include breed-specific language.

Mr. Wagoner introduced three amendments to the bill Tuesday that don’t significantly change the bill’s intent, according to Ms. Sears. The first requires that at a court hearing, “the person who designated the dog as a nuisance dog, dangerous dog, or vicious dog has the burden of proving, by clear and convincing evidence, that the dog is a nuisance dog, dangerous dog, or vicious dog.”

The second amendment would not require rabies vaccination, spaying, and neutering criteria for dangerous-dog registration if they are medically contra-indicated. Dr. Lord said she supported this amendment. The third amendment is a series of “technical, clarifying, or conforming” tweaks to the bill’s language.

Besides Dr. Lord, five witnesses testified in favor of passage of the bill that would repeal Ohio’s 24-year-old law that singles out “pit bulls” as vicious. Two others presented written testimony in favor of passage.

Duane Sanning, Darke County dog warden, said although he is in favor of passage because “the bill fixes a lot of problems” in terms of putting a due process in place for penalizing the owners of vicious and dangerous dogs, he still believes owners of “pit bulls” and “pit bull” mixes should continue to be required to carry liability insurance and to keep the dog in restrictive enclosures.
Mr. Sanning said he believes it should continue to be up to the dog warden of each county to determine whether a dog falls into the “pit bull” or “pit bull” mix category.

Geauga County Dog Warden Matt Granito, president of the Ohio Dog Warden’s Association, said that although the group has some members who don’t support the proposed law, the majority recognize the benefits of putting more responsibility on dog owners, no matter what breed of dog they own.

Contact Tanya Irwin at tirwin@theblade.com, or 419-724-6066.

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2011/1 ... urged.html

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Good news! I hope it goes through this time, it sure does sound promising.

I do not agree though that regardless pit bull owners need insurance.. thats kind of one of the points of the bill.. that only truely dangerous dogs of any breed will be the ones in need of special rules rather than a specific breed.

thanks for the updates!

tethys13
Newborn Bully

Postby tethys13 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 pm

I have been lucky I rent and have a pitty. I also live in Summit Co and have all the insurance - signs - nice neighbors too that know my dog. I was absolutlely overcome with happiness even though I moved I had moved to a neighborhood where there are more than one type of bully breed and everyone is very friendly and before we moved we checked with owner of the house and also checked to see if the neighborhood was a. dog friendly and B. pit bull friendly.

I have been greatful to the powers that be ever since!! Before living in Akron I had lived elsewhere and it was a much more dog friendly area than Akron is known for. That being said I know what it took to be able to have my little man and I obey the laws here as I know all too well what HB 14 will mean if it passes. ;-) I may be able to sleep at night... (well unless being kicked in the back by a 40 pound pit bull that also snores really really loud.. happy annoyances. :)

I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:27 am

I live in Summit County (south Akron) also, and while the rules are strict I abide by them also. I will do anything for my girl, but I continue to hope that the BSL laws will drop off the face of the earth and our dogs can live like any other dog.

BTW, my pit Dixie snores too! and she will even howl in her sleep from time to time. LOL

tethys13
Newborn Bully

Postby tethys13 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:11 pm

What a cutie pie! I think pit bulls are natural comedians.. and at times BEER THEIVES! Caught mine knocking over a bottle of Great Lakes again.. I keep reminding my BF that our dog knows good quality brew and to be mind ful of that when he gets up during drinking it.. funny he wouldn't touch a friends Budwiser that spilled on the floor once.. crazy little guy! roflmao

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Ohio House Bill 14 is scheduled for a fourth hearing and potential vote on January 10th at 3:15pm in the North Senate Hearing Room. Please make plans to attend and show your support for this important piece of legislation.

Thanks to the Ohio Coalition of Dog Advocates for the update! Those of us who can't be with you in person will certainly be there in spirit!

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Ohio HB14 just PASSED out of committee! Now its on to the full Senate floor.

Awesome, awesome job by all involved!! Keep up the incredible work...we're all behind you!

tethys13
Newborn Bully

Postby tethys13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:05 am

I heard yesterday isn't that a breath of fresh air?

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:53 am

Way to GO OHIO!! Hoping it passes the full Senate.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 am

Ohio Senate vote expected next week on 'pit bull' label after committee OK

BY JIM PROVANCE
BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU CHIEF

COLUMBUS — Ohio’s distinction as the sole state in the nation to automatically label the "pit bull" a vicious dog may be about to come to an end.

The Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously voted Tuesday to send the bill to the full Senate after making a few minor changes. It could reach the Senate floor as soon as next week.

Current law defines a "vicious dog" as one that, without provocation, has seriously injured a person, has killed another dog, or is of the general breed known as "pit bull." Among numerous other changes, the bill drops the reference to “pit bull’’ from that definition.

Robin Lawson, of Shreve, Ohio, a volunteer tester of therapy dogs and their handlers, told the committee that she was surprised by the results of a DNA test of her own Rosie, a trained therapy dog that bears the strong jawed, muscular features often associated with the American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier, breeds commonly referred to as “pit bulls.”

"I wanted to find out what kind of dogs are in Rosie’s genetic makeup, so I chose to use the most extensive and accurate test on the market," she said. “I was sure I knew what the results would be. When I got the results, I was totally wrong. I learned my lesson about being able to identify a dog’s breed by appearance alone."

The bill passed the House by a bipartisan vote of 69-29 last spring and has been more likely to be opposed by lawmakers from urban areas that have had problems with “pit bulls” being used to guard drug dens and in dog fighting.

In prior attempts, efforts to simply drop references to the “pit bull’’ from Ohio’s 25-year-old vicious dog law ran into a wall with county dog wardens. But this time the bill’s broader approach of redefining dog classifications, creating a new court process for dog owners to challenge those classifications, and a hike in registration and other fees have brought the Ohio County Dog Wardens Association on board.

Support for the law among dog wardens has not been unanimous, however.

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2012/0 ... ee-OK.html

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:50 pm

We're almost there!! Lets do what we can to get this passed :)

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 am

HB14 passed 27 to 5 - still an incredible margin and a great victory for those working so hard to make this bill a reality.

Keep up the momentum, we're in the home stretch!

crosspost

tethys13
Newborn Bully

Postby tethys13 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:29 pm

EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! roflmao

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 am

Sunday, February 5, 2012
Pit bull owners poised to celebrate

Legislation is expected to get the breed out of the dog house.

Ken Robinson, Newsradio WTAM 1100.

(North Olmsted) - Governor John Kasich is expected to sign a bill that is sure to delight friends of pit bulls.

Under a measure passed by the state legislature, the breed would no longer be automatically classified as vicious.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that the law failed to provide due process for dog owners.

Differences in the House and Senate versions of the bill may be worked out this week, then it's to be sent the Governor.

Chris Hughes runs Rowdy to the Rescue, a pit bull shelter in North Olmsted.
He contends the breed has been unfairly demonized through media reports.

Hughes tells Newsradio WTAM 1100 that he has trained put bulls to be hospital therapy dogs, and has several that work with school children and kids with autism.

Hughes also has 2 pit bulls seized in a much publicized dogfighting raid in Cleveland on December 22nd.

He reports they are beautifully adapting to their new roles as training dogs, and one named Lola loves being around children.

Hughes and other pit bull owners held a public demonstration next to Cleveland City Hall Saturday to dispell myths about the breed. Similar gatherings were conducted in 9 other U.S. cities.
http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/sect ... le=9713364

Sailboat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sailboat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:05 am

Question: does anyone know if this amendment was included in the bill in its final form?

heather wrote:Mr. Wagoner introduced three amendments to the bill Tuesday that don’t significantly change the bill’s intent, according to Ms. Sears. The first requires that at a court hearing, “the person who designated the dog as a nuisance dog, dangerous dog, or vicious dog has the burden of proving, by clear and convincing evidence, that the dog is a nuisance dog, dangerous dog, or vicious dog.”

That shift in the burden of proof looks like a good thing to me, and I hope it's in the bill when it's signed into law.

Return to “Laws”