Traveling with your bullies

Discuss Breed Specific Legislation and local county laws on pit bull ownership.
taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Traveling with your bullies

Postby taurustendency » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:48 am

In the past my dogs have traveled everywhere with us. Now that I have a pitpup I have been researching the laws in my area and places that I travel to and through. I knew that my surrounding area has no bsl. However I was surprised to read this morning that a town 45 minutes away has deemed pit bull type dogs as dangerous. It isn't an outright ban, so I read all the codes to figure out just what being deemed dangerous really meant for us.

The rules were really nothing to scoff about. And generally things that I would practice anyway, with any breed of dog. But it didn't have any information regarding people traveling through with their dogs. This is a stretch of road that we must travel in order to go pretty much anywhere while traveling out of town. And it has been a regular pit-stop for us for many years.

I have no problem just staying on the interstate and stopping elsewhere, but was just wondering for future reference what these types of bsl mean for a traveling owner of pit bulls. Obviously I would not stop in a place with an outright ban, but I can't foresee every emergency or when a cop might pull us over. I will be careful to plan accordingly for gas and meals and such. It's just the unforeseen things I'm curious about.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or have any general information on how these situations are handled by the authorities? Or is there a good reference that someone can direct me to...so far I'm finding all the places that have bsl for people who reside in those areas, but not much about traveling. Thanks!

HammerTime
Newborn Bully

Re: Traveling with your bullies

Postby HammerTime » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:09 am

I noticed you're from Missouri. Springfield has BSL in place but its not an all out ban. There's just specific rules you need to follow. It sounds like that might have been the town you were describing.

I used to live right outside Springfield city limits but have moved to Willard now. No BSL in Willard.

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:46 am

Well, I plan to. But what I'm asking is...what are the rules for traveling? Everything I'm finding is concerns residents only. I've been looking up all the city codes for the places I frequent, but nothing about temporary stops or traveling through these areas.

However, in searching through the city codes, maybe I'm refining the hunt too much. I never thought to just search "rules for traveling with pit bulls." I guess ill try that instead.

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:00 am

Oops...let me specify. I understand that I need to follow each cities rules while I am actually staying and visiting for a few days. I was wondering more about being on the road with them. As long as it's not an outright ban, how do the authorities react to stopping and letting them potty? Or running through a drive-thru? Or getting gas?

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:18 am

A couple years back we took a trip down to Key West and I had your same concerns. I called up the local animal control in Miami and asked. (if you plan to travel, I suggest doing the same) The gentleman I spoke to told me so long as I could prove I didn't intend to stay-there would be no issue. I kept his contact information on me, we had our hotel reservations printed, and since we needed proof of vacinations for our dogs to stay at the hotel-we brought that as well...and obviously we had our driver's licenses. No one even took a second look at us while we were traveling-but I was still concerned. The guy at AC told me if they do pick up my dogs (say we were in an accident, or one slipped their leash and took off) while we were in the county that had BSL, they'd keep the dog for certain number of days. And then after that-we'd be SOL. I'm sure each place handles it a little differently-but these seemed like fair ways to handle the situation to me.

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Wow! I had never thought about a hotel asking for proof of vaccinations. No hotel I've ever been to has asked that of us before. Good to know, cuz I never thought to bring that stuff with. Most of my traveling is within a 4hour time frame...but I think I will make copies of all that stuff to keep in both vehicles from now on. Why not? I'm already keeping spare water bowls and leashes in each. Thanks!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 pm

We actually ordered a bag specifically for dog stuff for the truck (got it at a party from a company called Thirty-one...kind of similar to tupperware parties). We have all kinds of stuff in that stupid bag. The dogs love it. If they remember it's in the truck and they get bored they'll start digging through it looking for "new" toys. We keep leashes, bowls...I think we even have an extra muzzle in it. The paperwork-we kept in the glove box. I figure...if we get into an accident. That's probably the first place someone would look and I want them to know I have dogs!

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Great ideas! Love it!

Return to “Laws”