Weight pull

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Weight pull

Postby riley_23 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:42 am

I am looking into getting chloe started in weight pull and was wondering if anyone in the west Michigan area is doing it? I would like to see how another person trains and works the dog. Get some pointers on how to work mine. The next weight pull near me is UKC in December. I was thinking of going to the dock diving thats next weekend in Edmore, to see if I can find anyone who does weight pull there.
Miranda

Leslie H

Re: Weight pull

Postby Leslie H » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:24 pm

I believe a member here, who posts as ShadowWolf, pulls in that area.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138446

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:41 pm

There is a lot of us in this area that weight pulls. I think I'm the closest to you who owns a Pit that WP's. Most everyone else is out in the Detroit area.

If your interested in finding out more, you should come to the Whitmore Lake pull on the 28th http://www.ukcdogs.com/Upcoming.nsf/ByM ... enDocument I'll be there and so will Shadowwolf, plus a few others from the board.

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 pm

How far is that?
Im not In grand Rapids anymore I moved to Belding about 6 months ago. I was looking online at that one just wasn't sure how far it was from me. I'll have to see if the BF would like to go. Can I bring chloe or would she have to stay home?
Miranda

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Yeah, It's about a 2 hour drive for you, it's just north of Ann Arbor. (Google maps, gotta love them!)

If you do come, I'd leave Chloe at home, just because it's a hassle having your dog around and trying to watch the weight pulling events (Dogs can't be in certain areas during pulls because it's distracting), or if you do bring her, make sure you bring her crate as well. She can some, but I know from personal experience that unless you bring a crate, your limited about what you can explore and what you can watch.

Yeah the one in Kalamazoo is much closer to you in December.

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 pm

If its just north of ann arbor it going to be closer to 3 hrs. Ill have to see what the BF thinks about it.
Miranda

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm

There is also a pull in Centerville in Oct. Not sure how far that is, and there is a pull in Charlotte in Sept. I don't think that would be too far for you. Then again... I drive 2hrs for training lol! I may be at Whitmore Lake, but it may just be to show. Vi is coming out of heat, and if the boys still find her interesting no pulling for us.

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm only an hour away from charlotte! When is this one going on in sept and who is holding the show?
I might get to see one this fall yet!
Miranda

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Mooresmajestic, Where do you drive to to train? I would like to work with someone who knows what they are doing.

Im going to get chloes hips and shoulders xrayed to make sure she is in good enough shape to pull. If there is any sign of HD the were not going to do weight pull. So fingers crossed we need to make an appointment and she will pass!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 pm

The one in Charlotte is on sept 25-26th, it's being put on by midwest weight pullers. Great club! It is outdoors on dirt, and from what I can tell there will be a conf show also.

I train mostly at home, but some of us get together at a mutual weight pulling friends house to work on heavier weights or on carpet. (We also go for agil practice as he has a full course with regulation equip) I use a sled and patio blocks and drag weight in my backyard, or I have a garden cart if I want to go heavier. My home track is dirt and a crappy cart, but it gets the job done lol.

Come on out to Charlotte! Or if you can swing it Whitmore Lake... It shouldn't be 3hrs... It takes me 2 1/2 to get to K-zoo from Detroit, and it's 45 to Whitmore Lake... just sayin ;)

I live too far from you or I'd offer to help you out more for training. The best I can do would be online or something.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Sorry for the dp.... but you'll want hip and elbow x-rays.

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for the telling me elbows! anytime I drive to the detroit airport its a 3 hr drive. Not sure how close whitmore lake is from the airport. I have lots of family in the brighton area and howell area. Thats a little over 2 hr drive.
Miranda

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:42 pm

I'd do the patellas (knees) at the same time.

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:49 pm

So hips knees and elbows. Shoulders too or is that not necessary? I just want to make sure were not going to do any damage pulling. I'm only having my vet do the Xrays not sending them in to OFA.
Miranda

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 pm

I check the hips/knees and elbows. Since I had no plans of breeding Soleil, I just had my regular vet shoot and read them. I did also have a cardiac screening done, but those are a lot harder to find.

Return to “Dog Sports”