Sooooo over-excited to see new people and dogs. Bonkers!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Sooooo over-excited to see new people and dogs. Bonkers!

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:51 am

My grandmother's red nose has always been a bit people and other dog driven. She lives for meeting new people and new dogs. Lives to go places and see new things. But she does it as such a wild and crazy girl! She is out of the same litter as my Ruby...who is also very easily excitable, but since we go lots of places and do lots of things she seems to get her fill. They are 5 years old now, and my grandmother's girl seems to be going off the deep end!
She shakes, whimpers, whines, and just goes bonkers in the car seeing other dogs and people. Her hair stands up on end. She is ballistic when whining as we take her places where other dogs are. She will literally do ANYTHING to get to other dogs and people.
We can't seem to calm her down like we can our Ruby. We love that Ruby loves to meet other dogs and people...but my grandmother is really having quite a time. Could it be that they are both a bit insecure, but since my grandmother doesn't socialize her dog as much she doesn't know proper behavior and it's overwhelming? Or is it just a personality trait that she's completely nuts about people and other dogs? She plays well, is submissive when playing, and will only snarl a bit when she has her bones and doesn't want to share (which grandma doesn't mind). She always is sweet to new dogs she meets unless they are too overbearing and jumping on her, she will growl a bit...but then completely be fine. So agression in inappropriate places I don't believe.
The vet basically told my grandmother that she's just a super eager to meet and go places dog, but I"m not buying it. I'm thinking I'm going to start taking her lots more with my dogs to socialize so she can have some fun and maybe tone it down a bit. Do you think??
Don't be afraid of being harsh. Don't be afraid of voicing your opinion. I'm open to anything. I'm open to training, socialization, anything! Just let us know! :thumbsup:

morganmariah
Newborn Bully

Re: Sooooo over-excited to see new people and dogs. Bonkers

Postby morganmariah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Luna acts the same way. training anything will help if only because mental excercise is just as tiring as physical sometimes. I was reading an article that said going for a walk would tire a dog out enough for training, but upon reading an article on how to leash train such an eager dog, I found that tiring them out at home is the best way to get a calm walk... seems like a vicious cycle to me. take her to a dog park and let her run around till she's tired. then take her on a walk to meet new dogs.

rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:36 am

Thank goodness I"m not alone! We worked HARD this past week. I've had her and Ruby BOTH working hard at getting totally pooped out. But alas....we tried to meet a new Schnauzer afterwards down the street and the bonkers continued! LOL. Maybe it's just her, we're set up to see a trainer that specializes in behavior modification next Tuesday...so I'm hoping she'll have some good tips. We're going to go COMPLETELY pooped out and see how it goes. Fingers crossed! Keep any advice coming!

morganmariah
Newborn Bully

Postby morganmariah » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:37 pm

How is she with the "Stay" command? might try working on Sit/Stay with all sorts of other distractions (food on the floor, toy being tossed or rolled across the room) and then try introducing a very laid back dog at first by using the sit/stay while on leash. It will be a more gradual way to introduce the new dog, but the distraction of performing a trick might be enough to keep her from going crazy.

Return to “Training and Behavior”