Microchip migration/expulsion

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Microchip migration/expulsion

Postby littleCloClo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:58 am

I'm pretty sure Chloe's microchip is working it's way out of her. It's barely under the skin at this point. Has this happened to anyone else's pet?

Bullseye

Re: Microchip migration/expulsion

Postby Bullseye » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:44 am

I know they can migrate, but I've never known one to actually come right out... have you a photo?

patty

Postby patty » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:41 am

:hi
When I adopted my girl Boo 7 years ago she was micro chipped at the pound. Several months ago when I would massage her neck I noticed a small bump. In just few days it was gone. When I took her to the vet to update her rabies shot I asked them to scan for her chip and it was gone. :( I had her micro chipped again.

After doing some reading it is common. Since they aren't embedded deeply.

How is cutie pie Chloe?

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:30 pm

She's doing really well! She's chubby from her prednisone but otherwise silly and smart and sweet. She just turned 10 on the 15th. ☺

I just took a photo and just need to upload somewhere to share.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:43 pm

It's just under the skin, as if it could pop out any time.

patty

Postby patty » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:01 pm

That is exactly how Boo's looked before it disappeared, they are just like small grains of rice. Not sure if the vet could remove that and re-plant without paying full price for a new one.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:18 pm

patty wrote:That is exactly how Boo's looked before it disappeared, they are just like small grains of rice. Not sure if the vet could remove that and re-plant without paying full price for a new one.

I just guessing, but it's likely that the vet will say that it's more feesable to replace the whole chip, is it giving her any grief?

Bullseye's migrated shortly after being fitted, I asked the vet about it & they said no problem, that was about 7 years ago... it happens now and again, but that one does look a bit close... Bill & Tuppence's haven't moved...

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Bullseye wrote:
patty wrote:That is exactly how Boo's looked before it disappeared, they are just like small grains of rice. Not sure if the vet could remove that and re-plant without paying full price for a new one.

I just guessing, but it's likely that the vet will say that it's more feesable to replace the whole chip, is it giving her any grief?

Bullseye's migrated shortly after being fitted, I asked the vet about it & they said no problem, that was about 7 years ago... it happens now and again, but that one does look a bit close... Bill & Tuppence's haven't moved...

Chloe doesn't seem to notice it at all.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 pm

It goes without saying, but just keep an eye on it & if you're worried about it, just run to the vets.. :thumbsup:

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:39 am

We went to the vet today since it's gotten much bigger in the last week or so. The vet thinks it's unrelated to the microchip and that she could feel a stalk, and that it's some kind of growth. Chloe is scheduled for surgery on July 6th, and they'll take care of a couple of skin tags while she's under. We have decided against a biopsy at this time, but if anything else shows up or it returns we will biopsy it then. As it is, it's going to cost about $600-800 dollars.

Otherwise, her weight is holding steady despite the phenobarbital and prednisone (and the comments of some family members!) and she's a happy girl with no signs of seizures or anything for two years. I'm confident in their ability to take good care of her during the procedure. :)

patty

Postby patty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:29 pm

I have thought about you and Chloe and was wondering how she was. Sad to hear about her needing surgery. Sending positive vibes that all will be well. Stay in touch and let us know how everything went.

Feel free to upload a pic of Chloe she is a beauty :)

Are you still in So Cal? I have volunteered with a local rescue group in my area and love it! So far only walking dogs on Sat and Sun but hope to do some events and foster. Will have to see what my girl Boo thinks about that!

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Thank you! Yes, I'm in the San Gabriel Valley now. I'll have to post a new photo of her when I get home. :) She was such a good girl for the whole thing I got her a pupaccino (her first!) I'm sure everything will go well next week but I'll post a follow up.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm

It turns out it was nothing to do with her microchip! It was a trichoepithelioma, benign and completely excised. She had her sutures out today and she did great. :)

patty

Postby patty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Excellent!! I've never heard of that BIG word, will have to look that one up :) Thank goodness they are mostly benign they are gnarly looking!!!

Return to “Health Issues”