Odd Behavior, need advice, please..

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Odd Behavior, need advice, please..

Postby PitBoxer » Thu May 25, 2017 6:22 pm

I will try to keep this as short as possible but I also want to give the most accurate information..

I have a pit mix, I was told it was with a boxer but they couldn't be sure. She will turn 11 later this year. There were some lifestyle changes recently. I got married almost a year ago and me and my wife and my dog along with her dog moved into our new home. After almost 10 years, her home changed. She did not like it at first, id say for a few weeks but she settled in and everything seemed fine, for a while. I can say that both dogs get along in a sense that they co exist without any aggression toward each other or fighting but they do not really play together, they literally just coexist but that's not what I'm posting about. Something else that may factor in is that while at my parents there was almost always someone home with her at all times. But since the move, she spends 8-9 hours a day alone until i get back home from work.

For the last few weeks, my dog has been acting odd, this after she seemed to settle in after the initial move in. She was ding fine for months but now she in a sense wants to isolate herself. I went to the vet and I was told it might be early signs of dementia, after a blood test showed her organs and such were okay. I just went with it, but something didn't seem right. The more I thought about it, I didn't feel like it was anything mental in that way. When I was living with my parents she used to do something similar but not for as long as she has been now and that was when she was younger. Now, it lasts longer, has been going on for a longer period and seems to be scaled up a bit. The things that I think that it's not dementia is because she doesn't get lost or lose her way, she purposely tries to hide in corners and tight spaces. The best way I can explain it is she is trying to isolate herself. She shakes some times when she is in that mood as well, and her tail is tucked. Trying to get her out and she growls and snaps(very much unlike her) . Her teeth has made contact with my hand but i don't even have a mark afterwards but the display can be scary and granted most times I move my hand away I am speaking on the times i don't.

I have noticed something that triggers it the majority of the time. I'd say over 90% of the time. If its just me and her in the house, she seems fine but when my wife gets home(with or without her dog - she takes her dog to her parents during the day while we are both at work), as I am home before her, my dog seems really happy to see her come home as she normally does. Big display of excitement, tail wagging a mile a minute. Shortly after she comes down from that excitement is when she gets into that mood and wants to hide. There has been a couple times that when my wife wasn't home overnight and she was good for the whole night. Now I'm not sure if its an actual trigger but I can tell you i'm positive that's when it happens.

Can she be depressed? like i said i dont believe its dementia although I am not a vet and i may be completely wrong but its just my gut feeling its something else. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or something similar that can give me some advice?

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Re: Odd Behavior, need advice, please..

Postby Poohs Dad » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Dogs can absolutely become depressed. A walk through any shelter will show you enough proof of that. This could be depression, but I don't think it is something that can be determined on a forum. Does your wife pay attention to her when she comes home? I know this post is months old, but I am curious if you have made any headway with this...

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Odd Behavior, need advice, please..

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm sorry that must be very upsetting for you. She definitely is trying to tell you something. I would consider hiring a good veterinary behaviourist to help you puzzle it out in person.

I would also explore physical causes a bit more - is it possible she is in pain? Older dogs often start to get arthritis - you could try a course of metacam or similar and see if that helps. Could she have a tick ? Unnoticed it can cause a lot of issues... think outside the box / there just may be something else physical ....

I would not try to get her out when she behaves that way - in fact you may want to find her a safe cozy place to go to in your place... some dogs like a crate in this way. I would also consider if possible and only if workable hiring someone to take her out for a walk during the day. Try to spend more one on one time with her just you away from it all giving her loving... perhaps a puzzle toy or bone to work out some of her angst on. Try to stick to a consistent routine, this will help if in fact this is dementia and she has had a lot of changes and has another dog to deal with.

You say they seem indifferent to each other which is fine but it may be the other dog is dominant in ways you can't see and it is fear and retreat being displayed in this way.

Just my rambling and long thoughts ... a bit jumbly

I too realize this is an older post but I had saved this reply in my phone notes and then didn't post
How are things now???

Return to “Training and Behavior”